XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Carrier Unlock Question

Tip us?

jussaw
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Carrier Unlock Question

Alright so I have a Verizon Galaxy S4 and am currently running CM11 on it, and this summer I am going on a school trip to London. I am already looking into getting the 3 (carrier) unlimited data, 300 minutes, 2000 text plan for my phone (I'll just use Google Voice for calling mostly), but I was wondering if Cyanogenmod unlocks the carrier sim itself or if I need to.. And if I need to will I need to install an app or will I have to go to a Verizon store? If I do have to go to a Verizon store, will they question me about me rooting my phone and not help because it's rooted, or will they do it with no problems?

joshm.1219
Old
Thanks Meter 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by jussaw View Post
Alright so I have a Verizon Galaxy S4 and am currently running CM11 on it, and this summer I am going on a school trip to London. I am already looking into getting the 3 (carrier) unlimited data, 300 minutes, 2000 text plan for my phone (I'll just use Google Voice for calling mostly), but I was wondering if Cyanogenmod unlocks the carrier sim itself or if I need to.. And if I need to will I need to install an app or will I have to go to a Verizon store? If I do have to go to a Verizon store, will they question me about me rooting my phone and not help because it's rooted, or will they do it with no problems?
the phone is already gsm unlocked for international use, you might just have to manually input the apn's, but whatever carrier you use there will tell you what to change when you pop in the new sim
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2848/11738368925_6e7dbef510_o.png
  • CARRIER: VERIZON
  • DEVICE: HTC ONE MAX
  • RECOVERY: TWRP 2.7
  • ROM: NUSENSE SIX
  • KERNEL: CLEANKERNEL
  • LAUNCHER: TSF SHELL
  • XPOSED MODULES: Greenify/KeepChat/NotifyClean/Sense6Toolbox/Snapshare/YoutubeAdAway
  • CASE: POWER FLIP
  • HACKS: LIFETIME FREE PIZZA DELIVERY

jussaw
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshm.1219 View Post
the phone is already gsm unlocked for international use, you might just have to manually input the apn's, but whatever carrier you use there will tell you what to change when you pop in the new sim
Okay, Thanks for the response! I really appreciate it! I know you said the carrier will help me with the apn but could you send me an article or video on how to do that so that I will have an idea on what to expect?

joshm.1219
Old
Thanks Meter 893
Quote:
Okay, Thanks for the response! I really appreciate it! I know you said the carrier will help me with the apn but could you send me an article or video on how to do that so that I will have an idea on what to expect?
No problem, I'm sure you can search youtube for a video just as good as I can for further explanation, but this is how you get to it:
  • go to settings app
  • go to connections tab
  • tap mobile networks
  • tap mobile networks again
  • tap Access Point Names
  • (never did this part myself before so I'm not positive) when you put the new sim in it will let you hit the "+" button at the bottom of the screen, and that's where you put in the info that the carrier will give you
  • XPOSED MODULES: Greenify/KeepChat/NotifyClean/Sense6Toolbox/Snapshare/YoutubeAdAway

jussaw
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
No problem, I'm sure you can search youtube for a video just as good as I can for further explanation, but this is how you get to it:
  • go to settings app
  • go to connections tab
  • tap mobile networks
  • tap mobile networks again
  • tap Access Point Names
  • (never did this part myself before so I'm not positive) when you put the new sim in it will let you hit the "+" button at the bottom of the screen, and that's where you put in the info that the carrier will give you
Alright Thanks for all the help! But sorry to keep bothering you, I've never tried changing sims before so I'm not well educated in this part of rooting, but I went to that section of the settings menu and The access point names option is grayed out. Do you think that is a Cyanogenmod thing or a what? I;m guessing it's CM.

joshm.1219
Old
Thanks Meter 893
Quote:
Alright Thanks for all the help! But sorry to keep bothering you, I've never tried changing sims before so I'm not well educated in this part of rooting, but I went to that section of the settings menu and The access point names option is grayed out. Do you think that is a Cyanogenmod thing or a what? I;m guessing it's CM.
oh right you're on CM, I *think* it will only let you go in there if you put a new sim in, but I'm not positive. Never had to change my sim just know the process. If someone else doesn't chime in on this thread by tomorrow, then I'll PM some helpful people to see if they have more knowledge and will get back to you.

jussaw
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
oh right you're on CM, I *think* it will only let you go in there if you put a new sim in, but I'm not positive. Never had to change my sim just know the process. If someone else doesn't chime in on this thread by tomorrow, then I'll PM some helpful people to see if they have more knowledge and will get back to you.
Okay thanks man, I really appreciate it. You have been a tremendous help!

joshm.1219
Old
Thanks Meter 893
Quote:
Okay thanks man, I really appreciate it. You have been a tremendous help!
glad to help no problem

k1mu
Old
Thanks Meter 1255

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
On the stock ROM it's greyed out as well as long as a VZ SIM is installed.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock MJ7, now rooted!
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1