Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,031 Members 44,815 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Kindle Fire half Brick Help (shows life and boots)

Tip us?

kingbowness
Old
(Last edited by kingbowness; 10th February 2014 at 10:53 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Kindle Fire half Brick Help (shows life and boots)

I bricked my Fire HD 7" a while back and decided to start working on it again.

I was doing some mods before I bricked it. The device, once it boots into Kindle's OS is EXTREMEMELEY slow. All the icons are blank, and it is extremely slow to do anything on but it kinda works. The menu to reset the device doesn't work, and the keyboard and other stuff barely works if at all as well.

I believe the unit used to be rooted, but somewhere along my bad fixing process I believe it is 'locked' again.

I am currently working on making a factory cable from the droid website in where you solder a cable from 1 to 4.

Following that guide. Any tips?

Thank you very much

Edit:
I can boot the KF HD second gen into fastboot mode but no idea what to do next. I have tried almost everything. I can't instal adb or even get the drivers to work. The device shows up with Windows giving me an error message. Yes, I have Android sdk and Java installed with proper Google usb drivers and api in there modified to add Kindle Fire HD in there. And yes, I have tried to manually add drivers. It just won't work, and or show life.

stunts513
Old
(Last edited by stunts513; 11th February 2014 at 12:51 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 603

DONATE TO ME
This sounds like a bad qemu root... look in the /data folder for a ".prop" file and delete it if you can. I would check the device manager for a usb composite device with a hardware id vid of 1949 and uninstall it if I were you. Also try the drivers in my signature, they should work with all modes but you tend to have to uninstall the driver between going from normal os to fastboot and recovery.

Sent from my LG-P769 using xda app-developers app
My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null

kingbowness
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513 View Post
This sounds like a bad qemu root... look in the /data folder for a ".prop" file and delete it if you can. I would check the device manager for a usb composite device with a hardware id vid of 1949 and uninstall it if I were you. Also try the drivers in my signature, they should work with all modes but you tend to have to uninstall the driver between going from normal os to fastboot and recovery.

Sent from my LG-P769 using xda app-developers app
Can you go into detail on what it is that you mean pleasE?

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 603

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbowness View Post
Can you go into detail on what it is that you mean pleasE?
ok lemme reply now that i'm on my pc so i can type better, the kindle drivers are a bit finicky, between switching between fastboot, recovery, and the normal os it tends to make you have to uninstall the device to reinstall the drivers, and if adb was enabled in the os typically it shows up as a composite device that you don't tend to notice, so if you goto the device manager, look under usb devices, and see some composite devices right click them and hit properties and goto the details tab, look for one with a hardware id with something like "USB\VID_1949" it will have other stuff after that but i don't feel the need to put it. If you find one of those then uninstall the composite device and search for new hardware or just unplug and plug the kindle back in, it should be able to install the drivers now. Otherwise just uninstall any previous kindle devices when switching between boot modes.

As for the other part i was saying, you could probably just fix this if adb is enabled in the main os, just connect to the kindle from an adb shell and cd into the /data folder and look for a ".prop" file(run the command ls if you don't know that much about linux it will list the contents of the directory you are in.), i don't remember the name, but part of the qemu root process sometimes leaves that file there and causes the symtoms you mentioned, deleting the file fixes it but i don't remeber its name offhand. so if you see a .prop file in the /data folder then run "rm whatevername.prop"
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE

kingbowness
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
ok lemme reply now that i'm on my pc so i can type better, the kindle drivers are a bit finicky, between switching between fastboot, recovery, and the normal os it tends to make you have to uninstall the device to reinstall the drivers, and if adb was enabled in the os typically it shows up as a composite device that you don't tend to notice, so if you goto the device manager, look under usb devices, and see some composite devices right click them and hit properties and goto the details tab, look for one with a hardware id with something like "USB\VID_1949" it will have other stuff after that but i don't feel the need to put it. If you find one of those then uninstall the composite device and search for new hardware or just unplug and plug the kindle back in, it should be able to install the drivers now. Otherwise just uninstall any previous kindle devices when switching between boot modes.

As for the other part i was saying, you could probably just fix this if adb is enabled in the main os, just connect to the kindle from an adb shell and cd into the /data folder and look for a ".prop" file(run the command ls if you don't know that much about linux it will list the contents of the directory you are in.), i don't remember the name, but part of the qemu root process sometimes leaves that file there and causes the symtoms you mentioned, deleting the file fixes it but i don't remeber its name offhand. so if you see a .prop file in the /data folder then run "rm whatevername.prop"
Nope, nothing shows up in device manager in those areas. The Kindle shows up under portable devices. NOTHING works in uninstalling or changing it's drivers.

I can't get ADB no matter what it seems.

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 603

DONATE TO ME
So what about when its in fastboot mode? If it goes into fastboot, uninstall the portable device and try searching for new hardware, if it cant find a driver then point it to mine. If you can get fastboot working you can just use kindle fire first aid to restore the device.

kingbowness
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
So what about when its in fastboot mode? If it goes into fastboot, uninstall the portable device and try searching for new hardware, if it cant find a driver then point it to mine. If you can get fastboot working you can just use kindle fire first aid to restore the device.
Drivers don't work in fastboot. I keep getting This Device cannot start code 10.I got the drivers to work in normal mode now and have ADB installed, but I can't find the ADB devices even with kill-server and adb devices.

kingbowness
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you everyone for your help, I got the issue fixed.

I used FFFirstAide.

That didn't work for me for a while because my fastboot cable had a disconnected data lined.