No registration required

[Q] Having trouble updating to 4.4.2

OP photonate

9th February 2014, 07:05 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

12 posts
More
Hey all, long time lurker and first(ish) time poster. I have a Nexus 7 (2013) that is great, except for a problem I've been having upgrading from 4.4 to 4.4.2. I am unlocked and rooted, and have the latest version of TWRP installed for the device (flo).

The problem originally started with the OTA. When the OTA would come down and I would click it, it would boot into TWRP and then just restart without installing anything. I attempted this five or six times before trying something else. From there, I downloaded and attempted to install manual update zips for the Nexus to take it from 4.4 to 4.4.2. When I would try and install these, it would say "error executing updater binary in ...". I have tried downloading the updating zip from multiple websites, and I've checked the MD5's, which always match up.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but where can I go from here? I've exhausted my knowledge of what other possibilities are out there, or what could be causing the update to fail.
Thanks!
9th February 2014, 10:26 PM   |  #2  
New York
Thanks Meter: 28

146 posts
If the stock finds that any system files have been altered and the md5 check is different from what it should be, a OTA stock update will not go through.

In my personal opinion, flashing a stock root / unrooted image found in the development section of these forums is one of the easier ways of applying an update.

For example if you want a rooted one here's one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2563017
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAltruistic For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th February 2014, 11:17 PM   |  #3  
Colorado Springs
Thanks Meter: 165

429 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by photonate

Hey all, long time lurker and first(ish) time poster. I have a Nexus 7 (2013) that is great, except for a problem I've been having upgrading from 4.4 to 4.4.2. I am unlocked and rooted, and have the latest version of TWRP installed for the device (flo).

The problem originally started with the OTA. When the OTA would come down and I would click it, it would boot into TWRP and then just restart without installing anything. I attempted this five or six times before trying something else. From there, I downloaded and attempted to install manual update zips for the Nexus to take it from 4.4 to 4.4.2. When I would try and install these, it would say "error executing updater binary in ...". I have tried downloading the updating zip from multiple websites, and I've checked the MD5's, which always match up.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but where can I go from here? I've exhausted my knowledge of what other possibilities are out there, or what could be causing the update to fail.
Thanks!

TheAltruistic is right, that is probably the easiest way to get updated. Another option would be to download the 4.4 factory image and pull the system.img from there and flash that with fastboot then the OTA would work. But really if you go through that you might as well flash the 4.4.2 factory image. I'm not a huge fan of doing the OTA and would rather flash factory images while skipping the userdata image which wipes the device.
The Following User Says Thank You to wantabe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th February 2014, 04:39 AM   |  #4  
Flag Eldorado
Thanks Meter: 54

133 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantabe

TheAltruistic is right, that is probably the easiest way to get updated. Another option would be to download the 4.4 factory image and pull the system.img from there and flash that with fastboot then the OTA would work. But really if you go through that you might as well flash the 4.4.2 factory image. I'm not a huge fan of doing the OTA and would rather flash factory images while skipping the userdata image which wipes the device.

/agreed

from the factory image:
Open flash-all.sh (linux) or flash-all.bat (windows) in a proper text editor (for windows users edit++ is a proper editor- linux people can use their editor of choice):
Find this line:
Code:
fastboot -w update image-razor-kot49h.zip
change it to

Code:
fastboot update image-razor-kot49h.zip
and it will leave your user data intact
Last edited by oldsoldier2003; 11th February 2014 at 04:41 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldsoldier2003 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th February 2014, 05:26 AM   |  #5  
Colorado Springs
Thanks Meter: 165

429 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier2003

/agreed

from the factory image:
Open flash-all.sh (linux) or flash-all.bat (windows) in a proper text editor (for windows users edit++ is a proper editor- linux people can use their editor of choice):
Find this line:

Code:
fastboot -w update image-razor-kot49h.zip
change it to
Code:
fastboot update image-razor-kot49h.zip
and it will leave your user data intact

You're right, thanks for pointing that out! I've done that before but I'm so used to flashing the images separately I forgot about it for a minute!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread