[Q] No service / No sim card

Search This thread

bugkillr

Feb 9, 2014
Calcutta
A. Introduction: I had the HTC Desire C working smooth and fine. Then one fine day, I realized that the microphone is not working properly, the person at the other side of phone call would not be able to listen to me unless I'd literally shout over phone. So I gave the phone to the HTC service center because it was under warranty. They changed some parts and handed back the phone to me. But the problem was still there. I again submitted my phone. They changed the same parts again and now the mic was working classic, phone was working smooth.

B. Twist in the scene: Just after few days, I was on my way to home after some work and I noticed that phone had a cross (x) against the signal and when I pulled down the notification thing, it said NO SERVICE. This used to happen a lot of times from then onward. Switching to Flight Mode and then reverting back (OR a restart OR a sim pullout and insert again) would sometimes fix the issue, but only temporarily. Sometimes after reboot, it would say NO SIM CARD, sometimes NO SERVICE and sometimes proper functioning with 2-3 bars.

C. Attempts from my end: I thought that they have messed the sim card slot while assembling my phone back and it is a hardware issue. But I was finding it hard to believe. I tried switching to GSM ONLY, then it would show full bars, but again only temporarily -- later NO SERVICE again.
The same SIM card in other phones (standard Nokia b&w phones aka hammers) shows full bars. And I have tried 3+ sim cards in the HTC, but all say NO SERVICE after sometime, maybe due to some activity (connecting internet) or just randomly on its wish.

I studied about radios(modems/baseband) and found that they are drivers and they also decide when and how to switch between 2G and 3G network etc.

D. Other Information and Background: Many times, when there is NO SERVICE error, when I check the Signal Strength it says -83dBm 15asu, so that is pretty hard to digest. The other times it says 0dBm 99asu, which should be obvious for a NO SERVICE error.

With point number E.2. in this post I have unlocked the bootloader and rooted my phone, installed CWM recovery, took a backup.

E. Options that are/aren't available from my perspective and my doubts:

1. Warranty period is over now, and I do not want to take my phone to the service center.
2. Can flashing a custom rom and radio fix this issue? If yes, direct me to some reliable ROMs for the same. CM10 build#3 (from here) didn't boot.
3. I have a Linux laptop, so options strictly based on Windows PC will not apply.

Has anyone faced similar issue? I found many pages with similar issue, but nowhere was the exact solution/troubleshoot mentioned.

Last edited:

me4488

Jan 25, 2013
Sofia
I did have a problem with sim cards. What I tried doing is borrowing a friends sim card to see if it works on my phone. To my relief it worked and meant that my current one just died. So I went to one of the offices of my Phone plan providers and just changed it and it worked. If you can try that and give back results, it would be awesome.

Antagonist42

Feb 5, 2012
Bolton
Depending on the age of your SIM card can give those errors but as you stated you tried other SIMS and same occurred so my guess is it's either Hardware or Baseband Software, unless there's a Baseband update or simply reflash same Baseband, if it still persists I'd more suspect Hardware.

Bashing away at my HTC Desire C

bugkillr

Feb 9, 2014
Calcutta
I did have a problem with sim cards. What I tried doing is borrowing a friends sim card to see if it works on my phone. To my relief it worked and meant that my current one just died. So I went to one of the offices of my Phone plan providers and just changed it and it worked. If you can try that and give back results, it would be awesome.

I, myself have a lot of sim cards to check this and I have already tried other sim cards. Some cards are not even recognized. Some are being recognized but it says NO SERVICE after sometime. Switching to Flight mode and back or restarting the phone or Going in Testing Mode > turning off radio > and turning it on again, sometimes solves the issue but only temporarily.

Depending on the age of your SIM card can give those errors but as you stated you tried other SIMS and same occurred so my guess is it's either Hardware or Baseband Software, unless there's a Baseband update or simply reflash same Baseband, if it still persists I'd more suspect Hardware.

Probably. And that's why I installed mini CM10 and flashed the radio with the latest HTC Desire Radio (for CM), but it still says NO SERVICE and the same baseband version as it was saying with the stock ROM. :/
Even though the signal strength is -63dBm 25asu

Last edited:

Quasar

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 3, 2013
Mumbai
Can you call or something if it is showing signal strength?

Sent from my HTC Desire C using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Antagonist42

Feb 5, 2012
Bolton
I'm more likely to suspect the actual SIM card holder hardware and not the SIM Card itself or the Baseband (No errors reflashing and other SIM's no different than your own), the fact it's showing signal strengths but you're not getting onto the network suggests RADIO hardware is most likely working along with software but a hardware failure could just be 1 connection to the SIM :confused:

Q. Are all other SIM's working in other phones and does your SIM work in another phone?

If so I'd suspect the SIM Slot onwards.

Q. may or may not apply but possibly relevant, does Bluetooth and Wi-Fi still work?

bugkillr

Feb 9, 2014
Calcutta
I'm more likely to suspect the actual SIM card holder hardware and not the SIM Card itself or the Baseband (No errors reflashing and other SIM's no different than your own), the fact it's showing signal strengths but you're not getting onto the network suggests RADIO hardware is most likely working along with software but a hardware failure could just be 1 connection to the SIM :confused:

Q. Are all other SIM's working in other phones and does your SIM work in another phone?

If so I'd suspect the SIM Slot onwards.

Q. may or may not apply but possibly relevant, does Bluetooth and Wi-Fi still work?

Answer #1: Yes
Answer #2: Yes

Q. I still don't get that when I have flashed the radio, how is it still saying the same baseband version? Doesn't flashing a new radio change it?

Recent UPDATE: Somehow, the phone is behaving well... (always 3 bars or full 4 bars), after the mini CM flash and NOPE 750 flash. Initially it was NO SIM CARD or NO SERVICE but multiple reboots and pulling out and reinserting the sim card have made it this far. Let's see if this good behavior persists.

UPDATE: Back to the same state of disconnecting/No Service/No Sim Card

Last edited:

Antagonist42

Feb 5, 2012
Bolton
I still suspect the SIM slot as you could have disturbed what's known as a 'dry joint' essentially made it make contact until it disconnects again even with just a change in any kind of pressure (placing the cover on or placing it on a table).

Then again it could be down to ROM and Kernel, I wouldn't totally rule it out without going back to stock ROM and Kernel and seeing any change ;)

bugkillr

Feb 9, 2014
Calcutta
I still suspect the SIM slot as you could have disturbed what's known as a 'dry joint' essentially made it make contact until it disconnects again even with just a change in any kind of pressure (placing the cover on or placing it on a table).

Any DIYs to fix this?

Then again it could be down to ROM and Kernel, I wouldn't totally rule it out without going back to stock ROM and Kernel and seeing any change ;)

That sucks! :(

bugkillr

Feb 9, 2014
Calcutta
UPDATE: The network seems quite reliable when I am on GSM only (2G only). That again indicates that somehow the problem lies in only the radio driver.

Any ideas?

manish4_4

Feb 20, 2014
New Delhi
Same Problem

I am facing exactly same problem on my HTC Desire C. Did lot of hard reset problem reappears after couple of days. got my phone reinstall OS at HTC service centre problem reappeared after a week.

Same sim is working fine in other phone, even got new sim still same problem.

Am confused if its hardware or software issue, problem comes only when phone is in GSM only mode, works fine on WCDMA only or AUTO mode.
But in WCDMA only since network is not good signals are low and in AUTO mode when signals are low it switches to GSM and if at that particular moment there is problem then NO SIGNALS.

Last edited:

bugkillr

Feb 9, 2014
Calcutta
Update, Phone fine. Help with the settings!

I checked a lot of sim cards and found that my phone is perfect! There is no hardware issue.

So I am presenting the present scenario. Please help!

I have 2 phones: HTC Desire C and a Nokia B&W aka hammer.

1. TATA DOCOMO sim card work fine on both phones.
2. AirTel sim card works fine in Nokia but HTC says "No Sim Card" regardless of the numerous attempts.
3. Reliance sim card (brand new, bought today) works fine in Nokia but HTC says "No Sim Card".
4. A friend's Reliance sim card was working fine in HTC.

If any Indian friend might help, then it would be great as this issue is more local specific I guess. Or any user who might have faced similar issue and then found a fix please help.

Last edited:

Quasar

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 3, 2013
Mumbai
You tried Vodafone?

Sent from my HTC Desire C using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

bugkillr

Feb 9, 2014
Calcutta

Not yet.

And believe it or not, but the AirTel sim that I mentioned in my last post was working once I washed it with some alcohol. So it might indicate that the sim was old and dirty maybe.

But what about the new Reliance sim, I just bought it today and it works in Nokia. I'd have switched to Vodafone but I can't afford its high 3G plan rates as I have to maintain an MTS MBlaze for laptop as well. :(

And the thing that friend's Reliance sim works fine in my phone is troubling me even more.