Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,580 Members 40,663 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Rooting Question and Pink/Purple Tint

Tip us?

papaketchup
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Question [Q] Rooting Question and Pink/Purple Tint

Good day fellow Butterfly S users!

I'm new to this forums and I was looking to expand my knowledge on this area.

First off, if I root a phone, what are the pros and cons?

Secondly, if I did root a phone will it get rid of the pink/purple tint with the camera? --Since I read somewhere that this is a software problem..
I notice a somewhat pinkish tint whenever I use the camera in lowlight. I tried reducing the ISO to 100 already with still no change.

daorderdillon
Old
Thanks Meter 602

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by papaketchup View Post

Secondly, if I did root a phone will it get rid of the pink/purple tint with the camera? --Since I read somewhere that this is a software problem..
I notice a somewhat pinkish tint whenever I use the camera in lowlight. I tried reducing the ISO to 100 already with still no change.
I can't answer that because I don't have that issue and I think most of us don't

Sent from my HTC Butterfly s using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
CURRENTLY USING

HTC ONE M8

PAST DEVICES

HTC BUTTERFLY S 901S

HTC BUTTERFLY X920D

HTC AMAZE

HTC WILDFIRE S

koniiiik
Old
Thanks Meter 117

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Rooting won't magically solve any problems with your phone. Rooting won't give your phone superpowers. Assuming it really is a software problem and a solution does exist (such as a modified camera app or firmware or kernel driver), rooting would most likely allow you to install that modified version on your device. Other than that, it won't affect your camera in any way.
Now using:
HTC Butterfly S stock ROM for now

Retired:
HTC Desire RSK Satellite 8.0
MWg Atom Life CE OS 5.2.19971 Build 19971.1.2.6 PV T2M

edorner
Old
(Last edited by edorner; 11th February 2014 at 01:16 PM.)
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:

Secondly, if I did root a phone will it get rid of the pink/purple tint with the camera? --Since I read somewhere (don't remember where exactly, but I am sure google will find it for you) that this is a software problem..
AFAIK the generally accepted explanation is that the issue is HW related and caused by the image sensor's sensitivity to heat. I read about a user somewhere who performed tests and found out that the purple tint starts to appear on his device when the temperature inside the phone is >28C. His phone was a HTC One, but the same goes for the Butterfly S, too.
Personally, I did not run any such test though, as my device seems to be among the lucky few which are not affected by this phenomenon
I attempted to produce the purple tint using the following test after I purchased my phone:
1) 30 minutes of NFS Most Wanted, which "preheated" the device quite nicely ,
2) lights off in the room, so it is lit only the backlight of the screen of my laptop. (this ensures that a high ISO is selected by the camera)
3) camera on -> take some test shots
They were niosy as hell (due to high ISO), but thankfully free of any discoloration.

As for rooting...
If this is the only reason you want to root I would say: don't do it. By itself, rooting wont solve your problems. That is a fact. Rooting could enable you to apply a SW-fix though, if the issue was in fact a SW-related.