Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,798 Members 49,868 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How do YOU manage sensitive data?

Tip us?

sublimaze
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 546
Question [Q] How do YOU manage sensitive data?

I am looking for a secure & simple method to keep sensitive data on my phone that will survive wipes/rom flashes. I used to keep a password list in my Google Docs, but I misplaced my tablet at work (fortunately a coworker locked it up until I could retrieve it), so I nuked that idea.

I tried mSecure and spent half an hour saving all my personal info, and lost it the next time I flashed a rom (I also keep the info on my desktop computer, so no big deal). Maybe mSecure has an option to keep an encrypted file on external memory, I didn't play with it enough to see.

Cloud services are ok I suppose, but I really prefer having the info on the phone itself, for those rare times I don't have a data connection but need access to passwords, etc.

Some people use a method of encrypting/decrypting files on their device. That sounds pretty ideal to me ― just decrypt it when needed and encrypt when done. If you lose the device, hopefully the encryption is strong enough to prevent anyone from stealing your info.

How do YOU manage sensitive data?

d0gd3v
Old
Thanks Meter 14
KeePassDroid for passwords. You can sync database to cloud if you want. PC comatibile.
EDS Lite for data, it's truecrypt container compatibile(in specific settings), so you can mount it also on PC.
The Following User Says Thank You to d0gd3v For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tenterhook
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Use TrueCrypt on a PC to create a container sync'd to DropBox (or similar), but pay attention to the settings to make it accessible on Android using EDS Lite.

Sync the encrypted container Android device using DropBox/Dropsync.

Use EDS lite on Android to access the sensitive data, when needed.

Use some kind of backup system (e.g. CrashPlan) to back up the DropBox folder, just in case the secure container gets deleted on a device and the deletion gets mirrored by DropBox. (You can normally recover deleted files on DropBox, but there may be a one month limit for free accounts, and it's best to have a secondary backup system, just in case!).
The Following User Says Thank You to Tenterhook For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]