The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Major Update for the Sony Smartwatch 2 Brings DND and More

With the wearables landscape now dominated by Android Wear and Pebble, its … more

How to Root Android Wear 5.0.1 Lollipop Devices – XDA TV

The Lollipop update for Android Wear devices has hit the market and people are … more

Android 5.0.2 and New Factory Images For Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) Available

Android 5.0 is has been publicly available since early November, and the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] [LB] CM11 install error, CM10.2 no boot; XZDualRecoverzy

OP cptMikky

11th February 2014, 12:29 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Hi,

before I go any further: I have a locked bootloader and I'd prefer to keep it that way (company policy).

What I have: A C5503 phone with 310-GLOBAL-LTE firmware, XZDualRecovery 2.7.85-BETA.
What I do: Flash 310 FTF with FlashTool, then run install.sh in XZD asking it to root the phone for me. After reboot I get the CWM PhilZ recovery screen and after yet another reboot the system starts normally having the NDR app installed - it crashes sometimes though, so far unreproducibly.

Next steps were tried using all recovery options (CWM, TWRP, PhilZ) with full pre- and post- wipes, zips on internal storage.

When installing CM10.2.1 (latest stable) I get no errors but the phone won't even start normally (i.e. not even the SONY logo, just a short vibe, black screen). Fastboot and Flashmode both work, recovery does not.

When installing CM11 (140210) I get an installation error saying (roughly) "some error occured". It doesn't fit on the display but there is no useful information in it anyway. I'll copy it here if needed. After this I get the SONY logo bootloop with only fastboot and flashmode available, recoveries lost as well.

Q1: Is it even possible to install CMx with locked bootloader? I can't see why not as long as I keep the stock kernel..
Q2: Is it me or are there bugs in CM builds? How can I debug better?

thanks,

-mikky
Last edited by cptMikky; 11th February 2014 at 12:52 PM. Reason: better headline
11th February 2014, 01:11 PM   |  #2  
Flag Jesselton
Thanks Meter: 33

75 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptMikky

Hi,

before I go any further: I have a locked bootloader and I'd prefer to keep it that way (company policy).

What I have: A C5503 phone with 310-GLOBAL-LTE firmware, XZDualRecovery 2.7.85-BETA.
What I do: Flash 310 FTF with FlashTool, then run install.sh in XZD asking it to root the phone for me. After reboot I get the CWM PhilZ recovery screen and after yet another reboot the system starts normally having the NDR app installed - it crashes sometimes though, so far unreproducibly.

Next steps were tried using all recovery options (CWM, TWRP, PhilZ) with full pre- and post- wipes, zips on internal storage.

When installing CM10.2.1 (latest stable) I get no errors but the phone won't even start normally (i.e. not even the SONY logo, just a short vibe, black screen). Fastboot and Flashmode both work, recovery does not.

When installing CM11 (140210) I get an installation error saying (roughly) "some error occured". It doesn't fit on the display but there is no useful information in it anyway. I'll copy it here if needed. After this I get the SONY logo bootloop with only fastboot and flashmode available, recoveries lost as well.

Q1: Is it even possible to install CMx with locked bootloader? I can't see why not as long as I keep the stock kernel..
Q2: Is it me or are there bugs in CM builds? How can I debug better?

thanks,

-mikky

1st: U can't. Actually it isn't necessary to unlock bootloader to install custom rom (e.g: custom stock based rom). However, the vital requirement to install CM rom is that u must have an unlocked bootloader because u need to install the custom kernel as well.

2nd:CM builds sure have some bug. You can debug it depending on how u customize the rom.
The Following User Says Thank You to ronaldbeti For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th February 2014, 04:14 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldbeti

1st: U can't. Actually it isn't necessary to unlock bootloader to install custom rom (e.g: custom stock based rom). However, the vital requirement to install CM rom is that u must have an unlocked bootloader because u need to install the custom kernel as well.

Interesting. Do you have any sources for that? I've been googling around and even though the custom kernel is part of the CM flash zip there is no information (to my knowledge), that CM cannot run on other kernels. On the other hand, there is no information it can....
11th February 2014, 04:30 PM   |  #4  
Flag Jesselton

75 posts
More
Then it's up to u whether u want to believe it or not. Take it or leave it.
The Following User Says Thank You to ronaldbeti For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th February 2014, 04:48 PM   |  #5  

1 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptMikky

Interesting. Do you have any sources for that? I've been googling around and even though the custom kernel is part of the CM flash zip there is no information (to my knowledge), that CM cannot run on other kernels. On the other hand, there is no information it can....

It can run on other kernel with a condition that kernel is compatible with the rom. In your case, the stock kernel isn't compatible with the rom. If u r smart, then u can customize the kernel to make it compatible with the CM rom. Finger crossed.
11th February 2014, 05:04 PM   |  #6  
Flag Jesselton

75 posts
More
Even if you can install the rom using the stock kernel, there will be high probability that many bugs will appear and you might brick your device sooner or later. There is a way actually to make it working on stock kernel by porting the rom. You can try it though. Happy goggling.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread