Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,785 Members 47,173 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

CM11 degradation?

Tip us?

Nolfer
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpisini View Post
A dirty flash is just installing a new Rom without wiping anything first. Depends on what you are flashing whether a dirty flash is OK. Usually if you are going from one CM nightly to another say CM 10.2 from yesterday to CM 10.2 from today you can get away without wiping caches. If on the other hand you want to go from CM 10.2 to Cm 11 you really should wipe caches first, same going from say CM to Carbon it is recommended to wipe first.
There are a few kernels out there but they are specific to certain Roms. There were some touch kernels for CM 10.2 but they only work on early releases not the stable. Unless you have a specific need I would't worry about flashing a new kernel.
I see. Can I install, say, a kitkat rom from a jb one (and viceversa), doing only factory reset (system, data, cache), thus without wiping datamedia?
More importantly, does wiping datamedia influence anything (configuration wise) that latches to rom or kernel? I mean, is there any information stored in the files that are wiped by "wipe datamedia" that is used by the kernel or the rom?

I'm asking this because I currently have the audio out jack kinda broken since I've tried some kk roms (delivers very bad quality audio, whereas the speaker has good quality) and I don't know what else to do. I've tried to change from kk to jb without datamedia wiping, but this didnt solve the problem, so I'm asking to know if maybe the kernel stored some bad audio quality config file there (in datamedia) and a wipe there could solve the problem.

leapinlar
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3608

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolfer View Post
I see. Can I install, say, a kitkat rom from a jb one (and viceversa), doing only factory reset (system, data, cache), thus without wiping datamedia?
More importantly, does wiping datamedia influence anything (configuration wise) that latches to rom or kernel? I mean, is there any information stored in the files that are wiped by "wipe datamedia" that is used by the kernel or the rom?

I'm asking this because I currently have the audio out jack kinda broken since I've tried some kk roms (delivers very bad quality audio, whereas the speaker has good quality) and I don't know what else to do. I've tried to change from kk to jb without datamedia wiping, but this didnt solve the problem, so I'm asking to know if maybe the kernel stored some bad audio quality config file there (in datamedia) and a wipe there could solve the problem.
No, datamedia has nothing to do with that. But going backwards (eg, CM11 to CM10.2) can be problematic. You may need to wipe /system manually too before you flash back to CM10.2 ROM.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app
See my Nook Color Tips Thread here,
and my Nook Color EMMC Partition Repair Thread here,
and my Nook Color Updated CM SD Installation Instructions here,
and my Nook HD/HD+ stock tips thread here
and my Nook HD/HD+ CWM Root Tools thread here
e.mote's Nook HD/HD+ Dummies Guide for installing CM10.1/CM10.2/CM11 here
The Following User Says Thank You to leapinlar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Nolfer
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar View Post
No, datamedia has nothing to do with that. But going backwards (eg, CM11 to CM10.2) can be problematic. You may need to wipe /system manually too before you flash back to CM10.2 ROM.

What do you mean by manually?

leapinlar
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3608

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
What do you mean by manually?
Boot to CWM, go to mounts and storage and format /system. Do this before you flash the new ROM.

The Following User Says Thank You to leapinlar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Nolfer
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar View Post
Boot to CWM, go to mounts and storage and format /system. Do this before you flash the new ROM.

doesn't factory reset include that?

leapinlar
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3608

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
doesn't factory reset include that?
No, factory reset just formats /data and /cache. Usually the ROM installer formats /system for you, but going backwards can cause an issue with that. That is why I recommended a manual format of /system.