Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,690 Members 46,813 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] HTC One eats charger cables

Tip us?
 
Surreptor
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jun 2013
Plug [Q] HTC One eats charger cables

Hey everyone

So, I have a bit of a problem... My HTC One keeps destroying every charger cable I'm using, sooner or later. I've tried about 5 or 6 different chargers, including 3 original chargers, and as you might understand this is getting pretty expensive (especially as original chargers are priced around 20.- in Switzerland).

I'm gonna spare you the details, but there are a few things that might be interesting to anyone who wants to help.

The progress is always the same: First, the phone is charging only when sth. is weighing the connector down (this is something many of my HTC One-owning friends are complaining about, too). Next, the phone will charge only when the cable is bent behind the back of the phone. This will work for some time, until the phone refuses to charge when plugged into the wall and can only be charged by trickle charging it from a USB port (which is what I'm currently doing). Here, the cycle is repeated, only that this time the cable dies entirely.

Curiously enough, this happens with every charger and, as it seems, the deterioration quickens with each new cable.

Also, what usually happens pretty quickly is that the connector doesn't lock into place anymore. I have cleaned the port multiple times following instructions from Youtube videos, but to no avail.

Since my phone is rooted, I unfortunately can't just go to my provider and ask them for a new phone. They'll probably blame it on the software or whatever... Also, I recently dropped my phone and it left a few scratches on the top, which would void my warranty even if the rooting wouldn't already have done so. Just my luck, I suppose...

Hopefully anybody has a similar problem or a suggestion. Lemme know if you do!

Regards,

Surreptor aka Jannik
 
clsA
Old
#2  
clsA's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 838
Posts: 3,115
Join Date: Aug 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreptor View Post
Hey everyone


Since my phone is rooted, I unfortunately can't just go to my provider and ask them for a new phone. They'll probably blame it on the software or whatever... Also, I recently dropped my phone and it left a few scratches on the top, which would void my warranty even if the rooting wouldn't already have done so. Just my luck, I suppose...

Hopefully anybody has a similar problem or a suggestion. Lemme know if you do!

Regards,

Surreptor aka Jannik
Use this Guide to return to Stock and do a warranty replacement
HTC One 32 GB AT&T

 
dbz5as
Old
(Last edited by dbz5as; 9th February 2014 at 07:08 PM.) Reason: Accidently included a quote
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 8
Join Date: Apr 2011
It looks like you have 2 problems. The first one is the microusb port has been damaged. This has happened to me on another phone and it would explain why the wire is sliding out. For this reason, you might consider replacing it under warranty. The second problem seems to be tension in the charging wire. I do not know how you have charging setup, but I am guessing that the outlet is far away and you are stretching the cable to make it to the phone. This could cause the wire to have discontinuity (why you have to bend it to short the discontinuity and resume charging) and the microusb port to get damaged. I would recommend getting a longer wire if this is the case.
 
nkk71
Old
#4  
nkk71's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2696
Posts: 5,456
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beirut
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsA View Post
Use this Guide to return to Stock and do a warranty replacement
have u seen the latest revision , maybe i should rename it from Super to Ultimate
lol
 
LibertyMarine
Old
#5  
LibertyMarine's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 142
Posts: 435
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreptor View Post
Hey everyone

So, I have a bit of a problem... My HTC One keeps destroying every charger cable I'm using, sooner or later. I've tried about 5 or 6 different chargers, including 3 original chargers, and as you might understand this is getting pretty expensive (especially as original chargers are priced around 20.- in Switzerland).

I'm gonna spare you the details, but there are a few things that might be interesting to anyone who wants to help.

The progress is always the same: First, the phone is charging only when sth. is weighing the connector down (this is something many of my HTC One-owning friends are complaining about, too). Next, the phone will charge only when the cable is bent behind the back of the phone. This will work for some time, until the phone refuses to charge when plugged into the wall and can only be charged by trickle charging it from a USB port (which is what I'm currently doing). Here, the cycle is repeated, only that this time the cable dies entirely.

Curiously enough, this happens with every charger and, as it seems, the deterioration quickens with each new cable.

Also, what usually happens pretty quickly is that the connector doesn't lock into place anymore. I have cleaned the port multiple times following instructions from Youtube videos, but to no avail.

Since my phone is rooted, I unfortunately can't just go to my provider and ask them for a new phone. They'll probably blame it on the software or whatever... Also, I recently dropped my phone and it left a few scratches on the top, which would void my warranty even if the rooting wouldn't already have done so. Just my luck, I suppose...

Hopefully anybody has a similar problem or a suggestion. Lemme know if you do!

Regards,

Surreptor aka Jannik
ok, where did you buy if from ?

I bought it at Microspot and they replaced it twice...

Both times, I was S OFF, LOCKED Bootloader and stock recovery using a RUU...

The second time I even had a "bülä/näggi" on my phone... they replaced it on warranty...
I had the purple tint camera issue D:
Feel free to hit the thanks button if I helped
Remember - Quote or mention me if you expect an answer!
[GUIDE][FIX] Solve Bootloops and no OS on phone!

Proud owner of a 315p Explorer
 
Surreptor
Old
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default Re: HTC One eats charger cables

Thanks for your response

I bought it at the Orange store in Winti, but if you get any helpful advice or in this case even a new device always depends on the clerk...

Also, I'm kinda worried how they would react to the fact that I noticed the issue already months ago.

Anyway. I'll wait until my current cable breaks down, too. Perhaps in the meantime somebody else has an idea
 
LibertyMarine
Old
(Last edited by LibertyMarine; 9th February 2014 at 10:40 PM.)
#7  
LibertyMarine's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 142
Posts: 435
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreptor View Post
Thanks for your response

I bought it at the Orange store in Winti, but if you get any helpful advice or in this case even a new device always depends on the clerk...

Also, I'm kinda worried how they would react to the fact that I noticed the issue already months ago.

Anyway. I'll wait until my current cable breaks down, too. Perhaps in the meantime somebody else has an idea
ok... first, you are not allowed to tell them that you noticed this issue months ago..

look at OR Art. 201/3

Quote:
3. Ergeben sich später solche Mängel, so muss die Anzeige sofort nach
der Entdeckung erfolgen, widrigenfalls die Sache auch rücksichtlich
dieser Mängel als genehmigt gilt.
they won't notice it but you need some good argument's that this issue isn't caused by software... first go back 100% stock using this guide:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2541082

and then test if your phone still eats these cables..., return it to the shop...

use these arguments to convince them if they don't wanna replace it:

I hope you can do something with these informations and if they want to charge you - or even to be prepared - I have a few examples how you can convince HTC that this issue is not caused by you and that this is covered by warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyMarine
UNLOCKING THE BOOTLOADER DOESN'T VOID THE WARRANTY FOR HARDWARE SUCH AS THE POWERBUTTON!!! I think it's point 7 in the warranty statement where they wrote that the fault has to be CAUSED by this particular ---- whatever is listed below.

Someone had an issue with a sunk powerbutton, like me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyMarine
Now, send them an email and tell them that in the warranty is written:
ONLY if it's CAUSED by external action, warranty is void for ONLY the part that got influenced by this cause! And also tell them that it is ridiculous and that they can't be serious saying that a few scratches and a unlocked bootloader caused a sunk power button! Tell them that this is against every human logic! Tell them that you have the right to use this warranty because the powerbutton sunk under normal usage! And this is definitly a production problem and not your fault! Describe them that you use your phone the way it has to be used!
But remember, be friendly and try to comunicate.. otherwise they won't deal.
Same guy again:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyMarine
Try to give them your perspective.. how you experienced the sunk powerbutton. I said that from time to time it sunk deeper and deeper. And because I was afraid of destroying something I even pressed it softer and so on.. But once the point was reached that this ESSENTIAL part of the HTC One was unusable, so I felt forced to send it in on warranty because this is definitly a hardware fault and not a user fault! Try to give them your perspective!

This is almost everything. Be rethoric(Ask questions so that they must answer Yes! Ask questions that already include the answer) For example, Isn't it ridiculus and totally against every logic thinking that you say a unlocked bootloader is the cause of a sunk powerbutton?

As long as they are humans, they have to say, yes... this is the only answer... otherwise they would be ridiculus.
They wanted to charge him(was a bad decision ):
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyMarine
holy crap, say them they HAVE to, or are they willing to see a BIG article in a popular newspaper with your problem and their answer... ask the shop assistant if he wants his name to be published etc... PROVOKE! FORCE them to repair it on warranty.. say them that a friend of yours also got the phone fixed for the same issue
But in the end this happend:

Quote:
I will receive a refurbished htc one
I hope this helps you if they want to charge you. And even if they didn't what you've just read is the first step to become a good dealer![COLOR="Silver"]

If you don't mind, you can hit the thanksbutton
Feel free to hit the thanks button if I helped
Remember - Quote or mention me if you expect an answer!
[GUIDE][FIX] Solve Bootloops and no OS on phone!

Proud owner of a 315p Explorer
The Following User Says Thank You to LibertyMarine For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Surreptor
Old
#8  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default Awesome Response

Holy sh*t, take my thanks

No, seriously, great and elaborate response, I'm gonna try that.

I bought a new charger cable today (just as a last test) and it won't even start charging on AC current. Guess it's really the phone's fault. Oh well, hate to wait for the replacement, but better than a broken phone, right?

Thanks again and have a nice day

Cheers,
Surreptor

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...