XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Upgraded to CM11 - want my Contacts and Messages back

Tip us?

Loganberry
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Upgraded to CM11 - want my Contacts and Messages back

I upgraded my S3 Mini from stock 4.1.2 to CyanogenMod 11. Thinking I was clever, I took a full backup of everything with both Titanium Pro as well as Online Nandroid Backup before flashing CM11.

Only... it looks like I wasn't so clever after all.

If I use Titanium to restore the Contacts Data only then the Contacts application crashes on launch, every time. Some reading suggests that Titanium doesn't always work nicely with system functions, and Contacts is considered a system function. To be fair to Titanium, it warned me before doing the restore that the backup was from a different ROM and might not work.

My contacts weren't synchronised with my Google account so I can't restore from there.

Is there any way to get the Contacts and Messages data restored? Are there third-party programs (for any of Android, Windows, Linux, or OS X, all of which I have available) which can read Titanium backups and export the data in a format that CM11 can use?

mauam
Old
Thanks Meter 5793
You can use this app. I use it on cm11 without any problem at all.

Loganberry
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I tried that program, but I can't get it to import from the Titanium backup files. Perhaps I'm missing something in the options, but all I can see there is to transfer data between the phone, the SIM, Google, and Excel.

However, it looks like a useful program for the future, to save me this sort of headache the next time I mess about with phone ROMs; thanks for the suggestion.

Loganberry
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Well, I'm getting somewhere, and this is something to keep my occupied on Christmas Day morning while waiting for the rest of the house to wake up...

I went back through Titanium's support documentation again and found something I'd missed earlier: the program has an option to "migrate system data", which is recommended when restoring to a different ROM.

I've got my messages and contact groups back, but I still don't have the individual contacts back. But, progress is progress, and I'll keep plugging away at it.

Worst case scenario, I'll just re-enter them all by hand but I'd rather avoid that if possible.

Loganberry
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Reverting back to the pre-rooted stock 4.1.2 firmware from this forum, in the hope that Titanium would happily restore everything without needing the "migrate system data" option didn't work, sadly. The phone got stuck in a boot loop, and reflashing the PARAM file didn't fix it. So, it looks like I'm stuck with CM11. Serves me right for jumping straight in with both feet; no-one else to blame but myself.

However, it looks like the Titanium backup is in SQLite format, so all is not lost. I've managed to dump the data table successfully, so all I need to do now is parse it for importing. But that can wait for another day, as the rest of the house has finally woken up and it's time for breakfast and presents.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Loganberry
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Well, I persevered and finally got the 4.1.2 rooted stock ROM back on the phone without it becoming stuck in a boot loop. Titanium was able to restore my contacts and messages successfully. Now to investigate a more sensible synchronisation/backup tool before messing with a custom ROM again, perhaps Phosimgo mentioned in the first reply.

Fxam
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Restore contacts with TitaniumBackUp after flashing CM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganberry View Post
Well, I persevered and finally got the 4.1.2 rooted stock ROM back on the phone without it becoming stuck in a boot loop. Titanium was able to restore my contacts and messages successfully. Now to investigate a more sensible synchronisation/backup tool before messing with a custom ROM again, perhaps Phosimgo mentioned in the first reply.
Seriously!?

I backed up all of my stuff with TitaniumBackUpPro and flashed from 4.1.2. to CM 11 and can't get my contacts restored either.

Your telling me in need to flash back to stock and export my contacts with a different app before flashing CM again?

How is that tool Phosimgo recomended?

Loganberry
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I ended up using Super Backup. It worked flawlessly. For the future, my contacts are now backed up to my Google account.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app