[Q] PwnMyMoto Cert Issues & "Bulit-in App" Question

Tip us?

shen lei
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] PwnMyMoto Cert Issues & "Bulit-in App" Question

Hi all,
New to the forums and to android dev... your help and patience much appreciated. Made (hopefully) good faith effort to track down an answer, but no luck yet...

2 (related?) questions on Motorola Ultra root (4.4 KitKat):

On the adb side, having issues with signature/certs.
Using original mymoto apk from jcase's post...
I initially get INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_NO_CERTIFICATES
I create key, run jarsign and zipalign per Android dev instructions (referred there from suggestions on stackoverflow).
This appears to successfully add signature, but then on install I just get parse failed inconsistent certs.
Most of the suggestions I've seen for inconsistent certs revolve around uninstalling the app... but since I haven't successfully installed to begin with, not sure if that applies. (Indeed, running pm list packages in adb shell, I don't see anything that looks like PwnMyMoto to uninstall).
Any thoughts much appreciated.

Secondly, I also tried to download apk direct to phone from web, and the message on install (attempt) was rather interesting:
"PwnMyMoto
Do you want to install an update to this built-in application? Your existing data will not be..." etc.
(When attempt to install, simply comes back: "App not installed").
The 'built-in application' part seemed strange to me, and I haven't found reference to it in forums. Assume this has something to do with the fact that PwnMyMoto takes over existing recovery boot function of the native system? Is this message unique / does it imply any additional workaround to uninstall existing packages?

(Saw the X has moved from PwnMyMoto to RockMyMoto... but haven't seen any similar updates on the Ultra side. If I've missed it please let me know).

Thanks for any help!
shen

aletoledo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm new here as well, with an unrooted verizon ultra 4.4. From what I can see now, the certificate issue is because the PwnMyMoto apk is relying on a previously rooted phone. It appears there is still a bounty for a stock root procedure.

Hopefully someone more experienced can chime in as if this is indeed the state of things.

shen lei
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aletoledo View Post
I'm new here as well, with an unrooted verizon ultra 4.4. From what I can see now, the certificate issue is because the PwnMyMoto apk is relying on a previously rooted phone. It appears there is still a bounty for a stock root procedure.

Hopefully someone more experienced can chime in as if this is indeed the state of things.
Ah, okay. That puts a few things I read in other posts into place. Unfortunate. Was reading up on SlapMyMoto as a solution for those who already took the OTA for 4.4, but I think it's a similar situation... you can only perform the downgrade to 4.2 required to load SlapMyMoto if you already have a rooted device (from what I can tell). Not a solution for a stock 4.4.