Google Allows Search Queries To Interact With Apps

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings lots of new features that are quite useful for end users and … more

Lenovo Officially Owns Motorola, Following ~$3 Billion Deal

Google is now officially no longer the owner of American phone manufacturer … more

Microsoft Band Fitness Tracker Announced, Available

The wearable market has been around for a few years, with Pebble and Samsung smartwatches … more

Forums Added for the Oppo R5, Oppo N3, and Xiaomi Redmi Note

Just yesterday, Oppo unveiled a pair of rather unique smartphones, the Oppo … more

Installing Cyanogenmod - Why is a MicroSD needed ?

OP mug2k

9th February 2014, 11:06 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 19

301 posts
I've purchased a Nook HD+ and plan to root and rom it straight away. I have a Galaxy Note 2 and putting a new rom on is fairly straight forward and usually involves putting the required files on the internal memory and booting into recovery. Just wondered why most of the tutorials for the Nook involve using a 4Gb+ microSD ?
9th February 2014, 11:57 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,660

8,348 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mug2k

I've purchased a Nook HD+ and plan to root and rom it straight away. I have a Galaxy Note 2 and putting a new rom on is fairly straight forward and usually involves putting the required files on the internal memory and booting into recovery. Just wondered why most of the tutorials for the Nook involve using a 4Gb+ microSD ?

Because the Nook HD+ does not have a recovery that can be used to install new ROMs. The bootable CWM recovery SD is necessary to do that.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app
10th February 2014, 12:03 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 19

301 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar

Because the Nook HD+ does not have a recovery that can be used to install new ROMs. The bootable CWM SD is necessary to do that.

Ok thanks for that, if I get an microSD that is larger than 4GB is the rest of the space usable?. Lastly is it still the case that Class 4's work the best?

Sorry for all the questions
10th February 2014, 01:05 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,660

8,348 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mug2k

Ok thanks for that, if I get an microSD that is larger than 4GB is the rest of the space usable?. Lastly is it still the case that Class 4's work the best?

Sorry for all the questions

If you use my new procedure from my HD/HD+ CWM thread linked in my signature (per item 1a), then you can use any size SD you want and it is all usable. But that being said, you want to use a relatively small SD (4-8GB) because you should save it for future CWM use and not use it for other things. You WILL need it again when things go wrong.

Yes, SanDisk class 4 work best.

12th February 2014, 12:56 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 27

87 posts
on related note: after CWM use, how do i reclaim the microsd? Windows now thinks the card only has 4gb and reformatting it does not help. (If I'd known, i would have gotten a smaller capacity card).
12th February 2014, 12:59 AM   |  #6  
Flag Weymouth
Thanks Meter: 245

1,255 posts
More
Grab a program called sdformater not home don't have the link. Google will get it for you.

Sent from my PC36100 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to jpisini For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread