SGH-I747 Block OTA updates
Device and OS: SGS3 AT&T (SGH-I747) 4.1.2.
Goal : Cancel the pending OTA update and its notification; prevent future OTA updates and notifications.
Assumptions: You've seen galaxys3root.com how-to-root-u-s-and-canada-galaxy fail-proofnoob-proof (Newbie here so can't yet post the outside link.)
This companion post simply collects the information into one place and optimizes the sequence of steps, instead of reading a whole disjointed thread, which I could not even find again anyway.
Phase 0 - Prep.
- Back up your data.
- Download the necessary files.
Phase 1 - Root the device.
- Connect via USB.
- Use Windows to copy SuperUser.ZIP onto device.
- Boot into download mode (Vulcan death grip with volume down).
- Use Odin to copy RecoveryGalaxyS3USCanada.TAR onto device.
- Disconnect USB.
- Boot into recovery mode (Vulcan death grip with volume up); the new loader launches.
- Install Chainfire's SuperSU (it's inside SuperUser.ZIP).
- Reboot normally.
Phase 2 - Stop OTA updates.
- Using Root Browser:
- Delete the one file in /cache/fota/.
- Rename /etc/security/otacerts.zip to otacerts-zip.bak.
- Add write-permissions on /system and /system/app (really not sure this is necessary).
- Copy FOTAKill.apk to /system/app.
- Rename /system/app/FWUpgrade.apk to FWUpgrade-apk.bak
- Notification page may still say "New update postponed" (it does not swipe away).
- WAIT until the current postponement expires.
Now the notification is gone!
I feel like there may be one rename that I forgot, but it's listed around here somewhere.
Seemingly spurious information:
- Titanium Backup requiring Lucky Patcher requiring BusyBox; that whole stack failed so not used.
- Remounting /system using a terminal failed.