Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,223 Members 42,063 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

SGH-I747 Block OTA updates

Tip us?

JamesGilbert
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default SGH-I747 Block OTA updates

Device and OS: SGS3 AT&T (SGH-I747) 4.1.2.
Goal : Cancel the pending OTA update and its notification; prevent future OTA updates and notifications.
Assumptions: You've seen galaxys3root.com how-to-root-u-s-and-canada-galaxy fail-proofnoob-proof (Newbie here so can't yet post the outside link.)

This companion post simply collects the information into one place and optimizes the sequence of steps, instead of reading a whole disjointed thread, which I could not even find again anyway.

Phase 0 - Prep.
- Back up your data.
- Download the necessary files.

Phase 1 - Root the device.
- Connect via USB.
- Use Windows to copy SuperUser.ZIP onto device.
- Boot into download mode (Vulcan death grip with volume down).
- Use Odin to copy RecoveryGalaxyS3USCanada.TAR onto device.
- Disconnect USB.
- Boot into recovery mode (Vulcan death grip with volume up); the new loader launches.
- Install Chainfire's SuperSU (it's inside SuperUser.ZIP).
- Reboot normally.

Phase 2 - Stop OTA updates.
- Using Root Browser:
- Delete the one file in /cache/fota/.
- Rename /etc/security/otacerts.zip to otacerts-zip.bak.
- Add write-permissions on /system and /system/app (really not sure this is necessary).
- Copy FOTAKill.apk to /system/app.
- Rename /system/app/FWUpgrade.apk to FWUpgrade-apk.bak
- Reboot.
- Notification page may still say "New update postponed" (it does not swipe away).
- WAIT until the current postponement expires.

Now the notification is gone!

I feel like there may be one rename that I forgot, but it's listed around here somewhere.

Seemingly spurious information:
- Titanium Backup requiring Lucky Patcher requiring BusyBox; that whole stack failed so not used.
- Remounting /system using a terminal failed.

shortydoggg
Old
Thanks Meter 286
Wow.

A much easier way if you' ve obtained root would be to uninstall and reinstall titanium backup, click on backup/restore, then go down to where it says AT&T software update (or whatever it's called) click on it, then click uninstall. You will never receive any update notifications again.

Also, if you've already installed the recovery, the update will fail if you let one go through, so you don't need to do anything else to block updates after flashing that .tar file.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Remember, root is not responsible for what happens with your phone, You are.

JamesGilbert
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
uninstall and reinstall titanium backup, then uninstall AT&T software update (or whatever it's called). You will never receive any update notifications again.
I first tried using TiBu to freeze AT&T software update, but it was failing for some reason, so I scrapped that approach.
I want to be able to accept OTA later, just not now, so not ready to completely uninstall anything.

Quote:
if you've installed the recovery, the update will fail if you let one go through
Looks like that's what happened this morning.

Thanks for the clarify, this makes sense now that I have been through the process by overdoing it