Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,452 Members 42,098 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Verizon Galaxy S3 remove 4.3 update?

Tip us?

Almostlastplace
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMan2 View Post
You can still root, install a ROM with Safe Root or Safestrap or whatever, and have a better-running phone. You simply can't install a different kernel... it sounds like you can even still have a custom Recovery (modified TWRP is my understanding).
I have used Safes Root and Safestrap, but i can't get the ROM I want (Cyanogenmod) to work with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark_dude View Post
I can't post links but if you search for thread number 2565758, that's everything you need for the Saferoot method that works for the Galaxy S3 (usually). I say usually because it doesn't work on my phone but I know plenty of others that have had no issues.
I've already used saferoot but I can't get into custom recovery with it, and I can't use custom ROMs because of the update, that's why I've been looking fr a way to downgrade to 4.1 or something.

SlimSnoopOS
Old
Thanks Meter 1912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almostlastplace View Post
I have used Safes Root and Safestrap, but i can't get the ROM I want (Cyanogenmod) to work with it.

I've already used saferoot but I can't get into custom recovery with it, and I can't use custom ROMs because of the update, that's why I've been looking fr a way to downgrade to 4.1 or something.
Want some advice? Sell the S3 for a pre-4.3 S3 or sell the S3 for another device. Theres no guarantee that AOSP will ever work with Safestrap.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
[VZW] Samsung Galaxy SIII
[last device]
Droid Incroyable

Almostlastplace
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimSnoopOS View Post
Want some advice? Sell the S3 for a pre-4.3 S3 or sell the S3 for another device. Theres no guarantee that AOSP will ever work with Safestrap.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Well I have been considering dropping a bit of money getting a used international S3 because the Cyanogenmod installer would work with it, but I don't think my Verizon SIM card would work in it.

BadUsername
Old
Thanks Meter 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almostlastplace View Post
Well I have been considering dropping a bit of money getting a used international S3 because the Cyanogenmod installer would work with it, but I don't think my Verizon SIM card would work in it.
It wouldn't, you need a CDMA device, the international s3 doesn't have CDMA bands. Verizon leaves you pretty limited in device selection.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Almostlastplace
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadUsername View Post
It wouldn't, you need a CDMA device, the international s3 doesn't have CDMA bands. Verizon leaves you pretty limited in device selection.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
That's what I thought, so that pretty much just leaves me with Verizon versions of the phone... I'll make sure not to stick with verizon when my current contract expires.