Is AT&T G2's bootloader unlocked by default?

11th February 2014, 03:36 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 111

603 posts
More
I see all these threads about flashing recovery and rooting on all carriers, so I just want to be sure, is it unlocked by default? If not, is there a way to unlock it?

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk
11th February 2014, 04:08 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Santa Rosa, CA
Thanks Meter: 1,414

1,603 posts
More
no it is not and no you can't unlock it. You can use loki to flash a recovery on it and then flash roms.
11th February 2014, 04:55 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

603 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rquiett

no it is not and no you can't unlock it. You can use loki to flash a recovery on it and then flash roms.

Loki is basically a bypass that allows you to have a custom recovery, right? Or is it just like a bootstrap/safestrap that requires you to have the stock ROM/kernel still installed?

And does Loki do a factory reset as if you had unlocked your bootloader?
11th February 2014, 05:50 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Santa Rosa, CA
Thanks Meter: 1,414

1,603 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by penser

Loki is basically a bypass that allows you to have a custom recovery, right? Or is it just like a bootstrap/safestrap that requires you to have the stock ROM/kernel still installed?

And does Loki do a factory reset as if you had unlocked your bootloader?

when I flashed loki and recovery and root I did not have a factory reset so everything was still there. Also it allows you to flash roms you don't have to stay on stock
11th February 2014, 04:29 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

603 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rquiett

when I flashed loki and recovery and root I did not have a factory reset so everything was still there. Also it allows you to flash roms you don't have to stay on stock

Awesome, thanks!

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk
11th February 2014, 04:33 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Developer
Flag Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 908

6,824 posts
Donate to Me
More
Coming from a Nexus, the procedure is a little different.

What you do is hook it up to the PC and run a script to gain ROOT. Then you download FreeGee and flash a Custom recovery. Pretty straight up. Doesn't require factory resets at all.

And I DO highly recommend using stock for about a week before you flash AOSP roms. The Stock rom is very nice, feature rich, and polished.
11th February 2014, 04:42 PM   |  #7  
Flag Kalamazoo
Thanks Meter: 420

849 posts
Donate to Me
More
here is a link to an explanation of loki given by the creator. it was originally made when the galaxy s4 came out to get past samsungs security called knox but has evolved to work on other devices like lg. it doesnt support most manufacturers, just the ones dan wrote it to support.

https://github.com/djrbliss/loki
12th February 2014, 03:57 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

603 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by player911

Coming from a Nexus, the procedure is a little different.

What you do is hook it up to the PC and run a script to gain ROOT. Then you download FreeGee and flash a Custom recovery. Pretty straight up. Doesn't require factory resets at all.

And I DO highly recommend using stock for about a week before you flash AOSP roms. The Stock rom is very nice, feature rich, and polished.

I just want to make sure phones I'm looking at are able to be messed with, so I'm not stuck with something stuffed to the brim with bloat forever. I usually stick with stock for a while before switching to custom ROMs.

One last question (I may be lying about that), does the G2 handle 4-6ft drops well? I read one article that said it's about on par with iPhones there.
Last edited by penser; 12th February 2014 at 03:59 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread