Porting a kernel.

Tip us?

tzeus
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Porting a kernel.

Hello,
I am pretty sure this is a fairly common question and everyone would like to have kitkat on his device. I can use google to find out most of the tasks i am about to do, but i have to ask first.
I have a pretty anonymous device, a Chinese phone, rebranded in Europe. It features a hardware similar to this: mediatek MT6577
However the manufacturers only released a 4.0.4 ICS Android for it, and the comunity managed to develop a 4.2.2 JB. It is important to know that other manufacturers have rebranded this phone as well.
It is known as Allview p5 duo, Fly IQ441, Walter Primo G1(i think) and other brands.
What would i need to make a kitkat ROM image for this model? How hard is it to "port" a kernel that was in ICS to 4.4? What tools would i need, and also what knowledge?
I hope some dev sees this post, sheds some light over the issue and points me in the right direction. I really want to learn about Android OS developement and i feel this is the best way. Also i want kitkat on the phone.
Thank you !

tzeus
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeus View Post
Hello,
I am pretty sure this is a fairly common question and everyone would like to have kitkat on his device. I can use google to find out most of the tasks i am about to do, but i have to ask first.
I have a pretty anonymous device, a Chinese phone, rebranded in Europe. It features a hardware similar to this: mediatek MT6577
However the manufacturers only released a 4.0.4 ICS Android for it, and the comunity managed to develop a 4.2.2 JB. It is important to know that other manufacturers have rebranded this phone as well.
It is known as Allview p5 duo, Fly IQ441, Walter Primo G1(i think) and other brands.
What would i need to make a kitkat ROM image for this model? How hard is it to "port" a kernel that was in ICS to 4.4? What tools would i need, and also what knowledge?
I hope some dev sees this post, sheds some light over the issue and points me in the right direction. I really want to learn about Android OS developement and i feel this is the best way. Also i want kitkat on the phone.
Thank you !
Uhm... BUMP ?

mdamaged
Old
Thanks Meter 521
I can't give you what you want, but there may be a ray of light.

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...ed-smartphone/
Kenneth, what is the frequency?

tzeus
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default developement

Thank you for your answer. I would also be interested in actual development as it is an area that interests me. What would i need to actually be developing parts of the Android OS. No dalvik parts related, only the OS / kernel parts. Do you guys know any good books on this?

OdSazib
Old
Thanks Meter 25

DONATE TO ME
Is there any full kernel source of mt6589? Gonna sell my device (Though I have HTC one)

Sent from my IQ446 Magic using Tapatalk 4
Current Device: Walton Primo S2
SOC: Qualcomm Sanpdragon 400 MSM8228
Root Access: Yes

My Previous Android Devices: Xperia SP, Symphony W125, HTC One X, Samsung Galaxy Ace 3, Walton Primo R1, Symphony W50
Talk is cheap, Press on my post if it helps you

My Works