Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,558 Members 42,166 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Solution] Wakelock Problem after updating to Kit Kat (no root)

Tip us?

kmokhtar79
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5185

DONATE TO ME
Default [Solution] Wakelock Problem after updating to Kit Kat (no root)

Hi guys, I am going to tell you a problem I faced after updating to Kit Kat and how I could manage to solve it.
Previously on 4.3 I had a very decent battery life ~7 hrs on screen for about 3 days on battery.
Once Kit Kat was out for my region I downloaded whole firmware and flash it through PC odin and wiped cash and data/factory reset after flashing.
The phone became more responsive and smooth though I faced a huge wakelock and consequently massive drop in battery life.
I also got another problem that once I wake the phone up by "home hey" to only see for example what time is without unlocking it, it took 1 min to turn off the screen again.
By monitoring CPU using both Bettery battery stat and CPU spy reborn I could see that most of the time CPU was occupied in 300 Mhz and it won't go to deep sleep as in JB 4.3.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CPUspyReborn_screenshot.png
Views:	5584
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	2574832

Better battery stat didn't let me to find out which app is culprit as I didn't have root permission.
I tried to reboot to recovery and performed wipe cash and data/factory reset but no success; still with no app installed I got huge wakelock.
So I decided to flash the firmware one more time but tried to make a clean flash; here is procedure:
1. Delete a folder called android in internal card and move all content to PC
2. Reboot to recovery wipe cash, wipe data/factory reset(I guess this step is the key which I missed last time right before flashing the firmware)
3. Fire up odin and select what you need to flash
4. once again wipe cash, wipe data/factory reset before booting to system
4. After the procedure done install any app to monitor your CPU status to see what is going on.
That's all and I got ~90% deep sleep as I expected. Also the problem of turning off the screen(without unlocking it) is solved and it takes 5 sec to turn off now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-12-08-43-37.jpg
Views:	4857
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	2574833
The Following User Says Thank You to kmokhtar79 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mas-j
Old
Thanks Meter 6
so, what the differencies if I do format internal memory than only clear android folder ?

kmokhtar79
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5185

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas-j View Post
so, what the differencies if I do format internal memory than only clear android folder ?
Yeah you can. Format is always "cleaner".

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk