[Q] Dirty Flash vs Clean Flash

OP grimpow

10th February 2014, 08:18 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Buffalo
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
So I'm pretty sure I know the difference between clean and dirty flashing (for a clean flash you wipe /system and /data, for a dirty flash you wipe nothing, maybe cache and dalvik). But my question is, how do I know which one to use and when? Is dirty flashing only for updates to your current ROM, and nothing else? Specifically with the unofficial Cyanfox KitKat ROM, can I just dirty flash each nightly?
10th February 2014, 11:51 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 453

1,348 posts
Donate to Me
More
Most of the time when flashing a ROM update (unless stated by ROM developer) dirty flashing is okay. If you get some odd bug, don't report from a dirty flash, as sometimes a dirty flash can keep old bugs, or make new ones. Always clean flash new Roms.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Uzephi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th February 2014, 07:40 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Suffolk, VA
Thanks Meter: 1,476

2,789 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimpow

So I'm pretty sure I know the difference between clean and dirty flashing (for a clean flash you wipe /system and /data, for a dirty flash you wipe nothing, maybe cache and dalvik). But my question is, how do I know which one to use and when? Is dirty flashing only for updates to your current ROM, and nothing else? Specifically with the unofficial Cyanfox KitKat ROM, can I just dirty flash each nightly?

For example: if you are on CyanongenMod11 Nightly and want to flash to the next CM11 Nightly most of the time a dirty flash is acceptable

However: From CM10 to CM11 (or two completely different roms) a dirty flash would result in bootloops/FC's/ect... a full wipe would be required

If you are staying on the same rom and just flashing a new release of that rom (version increment) as long as the OS doesnt change (ex. android 4.2.2 to 4.4.2) most of the time a dirty flash is sufficient unless stated by the Dev of that rom.

But to minimize errors Full wipes are generally a good idea (that way no data gets left behind that would cause issues)
12th February 2014, 12:46 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 777

1,785 posts
Donate to Me
Just to clarify one thing, a clean flash also means not restoring/installing any apps or data, unless there's a particular app you are having trouble with in which case you would only install that app. A clean flash also means using the stock kernel as well as no flashable mods (except for gapps, of course).

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread