[Q] Seriously Bricked Note 3 - Out of options

OP zoso28

20th January 2014, 05:17 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag East Coast
Thanks Meter: 55

404 posts
More
I've been on XDA for years and with every device I learn a little more, and do a little more, but for the first time I've finally hit a point where I have to start a thread. I was going to post in another but everything I found, I had already tried. I have a friend's Note 3 that bricked during a firmware upgrade & I'm trying to restore it for him. Knox is already tripped, so all options are acceptable, but I've tried them all. First I couldn't get any ROM to flash (invalid ext4 image) until I flashed (through odin) the PIT, Firmware, modem etc from a dump. I couldn't get the bootloader to flash which may be a problem. I've gotten the phone to turn on but it's FC galore & eventually freezes. I've used every variation of ROM's, stock and rooted (Sammobile and XDA versions). I've followed every guide in here and was able to get it booting (thanks to all the helpful threads & posts) but any time I try to do anything in TWRP, I get a fail because it was "unable to mount /usbstorage" Can't wipe, install a ROM, or anything helpful. Any ideas? Without it powering on I can't really give much info other than it's an unlocked unbranded Note 3

model: sm-n9005 (with a "UD" sticker beside it)
fcc id: a3lsmn9005
ssn: n9005gsmh

I believe it's the BTU (UK) version from what I've read.
20th January 2014, 05:54 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 463

1,281 posts
More
Tick NAND erase all und flash stock rom with a pit file maybe.

hit 'thanks' if i helped you
SM-N9005 0x0 X-Note7 ML2
XDA Developers 4 premium app
The Following User Says Thank You to Killberty For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th January 2014, 05:56 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 53

182 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso28

but any time I try to do anything in TWRP, I get a fail because it was "unable to mount /usbstorage"

thats normal when there is no usb device attached. has nothing to do with your problem.
20th January 2014, 07:43 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag East Coast
Thanks Meter: 55

404 posts
More
OK so I tried flashing the PIT file with just the Firmware (CSB_signed_HLTE_EUR_OPEN_32G_0718 with N9005XXUDMK2_N9005OXADMK2_N9005XXUDMJ7_HOME) and I got it back. Basically I flashed a PIT with firmware & modem in ODIN, which failed to boot past the 9005 screen. Then flashed the PIT & firmware above which brought me to a message that the internal data was corrupt and needed to be formatted, so I chose the only option (wipe it) and after a stock recovery wipe everything booted up normal.

This is all after a dozen or so attempts with "invalid ext4 errors, modem flash errors, unable to mount USB to wipe in recovery, etc etc. Anyway, I have the files if anyone ever thinks this could help them. It was an early release demo unit for Samsung reps, and it belongs to a friend of mine who works for Samsung so I was really nervous that I really hard bricked it. Thank you XDA for the dozens of threads & hundreds of posts that helped me get this phone back up & running!!!!!!
12th February 2014, 02:34 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
soft bricked
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso28

OK so I tried flashing the PIT file with just the Firmware (CSB_signed_HLTE_EUR_OPEN_32G_0718 with N9005XXUDMK2_N9005OXADMK2_N9005XXUDMJ7_HOME) and I got it back. Basically I flashed a PIT with firmware & modem in ODIN, which failed to boot past the 9005 screen. Then flashed the PIT & firmware above which brought me to a message that the internal data was corrupt and needed to be formatted, so I chose the only option (wipe it) and after a stock recovery wipe everything booted up normal.

This is all after a dozen or so attempts with "invalid ext4 errors, modem flash errors, unable to mount USB to wipe in recovery, etc etc. Anyway, I have the files if anyone ever thinks this could help them. It was an early release demo unit for Samsung reps, and it belongs to a friend of mine who works for Samsung so I was really nervous that I really hard bricked it. Thank you XDA for the dozens of threads & hundreds of posts that helped me get this phone back up & running!!!!!!

hi i soft bricked mine too can i have those file so i can try that option too. thanks
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread