Document the Story of Your Social Life with 8tory

The different forms of social media are growing every day. It’s hard to imagine a day … more

Make Calling Your Loved Ones Easier and Cheaper this Diwali

Diwali, or Deepawali as some Indians call it, is the pride and joy of Indian … more

Big Android BBQ 5.0 Recap – XDA TV

This fifth annual Big Android BBQ has come and gone. The speakers have spoke, the sponsors have … more

Microsoft to Counter “OK Google” with Bing Torque

When Microsoft is making apps for Android, users should be aware that something … more
Post Reply

[Q] File transfer using usb cable

OP gioni mnemonic

10th February 2014, 11:31 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
7 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I didn't found any answers regarding my issue.
So how can I transfer files from my pc using the pad's USB cable?
On my Sony phone with ics, it was enough to enable usb debugging mode and the pc sees it as a flash drive, using usb mass storage.
But here it seems there's no mass storage mode, only mtp and ptp which I don't like.
So what options do I have to actually see my 64 gb card when I connect the pad to the pc? Is it possible?
Cause even with debugging mode enabled it doesn't change anything, still have to use windows explorer and it's working very hard. Any help would be much appreciated.
11th February 2014, 01:01 AM   |  #2  
cbb77's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Massachusetts
Thanks Meter: 92
 
327 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
Not sure I fully understand what's wrong with mtp option but I can fully see my 64GB card when connected to my pc via usb cable. I have successfully copied files to and from the SD this way with no issue. Explain what issue you may be seeing.
11th February 2014, 09:21 AM   |  #3  
Member
Flag West Yorks
Thanks Meter: 5
 
56 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Usb Mode
Quote:
Originally Posted by gioni mnemonic

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I didn't found any answers regarding my issue.
So how can I transfer files from my pc using the pad's USB cable?
On my Sony phone with ics, it was enough to enable usb debugging mode and the pc sees it as a flash drive, using usb mass storage.
But here it seems there's no mass storage mode, only mtp and ptp which I don't like.
So what options do I have to actually see my 64 gb card when I connect the pad to the pc? Is it possible?
Cause even with debugging mode enabled it doesn't change anything, still have to use windows explorer and it's working very hard. Any help would be much appreciated.

Can not see why you have any problems when my G Pad is connected I can see it as a device in My Computer " Not Devices " and when I open it up I see two drives. Internal and external SD card

Make sure you have loaded the LG USB Drivers
Plus it should come up with a list of what you want to do when connected click Open and view files
11th February 2014, 10:07 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
7 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Thank you for the replies, guys.
Not sure if i made myself clear. Yes, my pc can also see my g pad device in My Computer, but it is not listed as a removable flash drive or an external hdd, thus i cannot see sd card properties, format options and so on. I usually use total commander for transferring files, because windows explorer is way too slow in doing this.
For example, if i want to download a movie or some songs directly to my tablet, how can i do that? With my sony phone is easy, my pc sees it as a removable flash drive, thus is easy to save files directly to it.
But with the g pad that option is gone, or at least i cannot find it. I must first download the files to my pc and only after that transfer them to my pad using windows explorer, which is really working hard. Basically, i have to wait one hour for downloading something, than another hour to transfer the files to my tablet, instead of downloading directly to the tablet.
And all this i believe is the effect of usb mass storage mode missing.
So in the end, is there an option to satisfy my needs?
Last edited by gioni mnemonic; 11th February 2014 at 10:11 AM.
11th February 2014, 10:53 AM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Staatsliedenbuurt
Thanks Meter: 35
 
250 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gioni mnemonic

So in the end, is there an option to satisfy my needs?

In settings, go to "system", choose "PC connection", choose "media sync(MTP)".
11th February 2014, 01:01 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
7 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
MTP option does exactly what i was saying earlier, it only gives me the option to use windows explorer to transfer files.
It does not satisfy my needs, as i cannot save files directly to the tablet's SD card when downloading something, for example.
Can you people see the tablet's SD card as another DISK drive in your pc? With formatting options, sd card properties and stuff that you can do with a flash drive or an external hdd? This is my question, but i believe this is not possible.
11th February 2014, 01:47 PM   |  #7  
Member
Flag West Yorks
Thanks Meter: 5
 
56 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Tablet Usb
Quote:
Originally Posted by gioni mnemonic

MTP option does exactly what i was saying earlier, it only gives me the option to use windows explorer to transfer files.
It does not satisfy my needs, as i cannot save files directly to the tablet's SD card when downloading something, for example.
Can you people see the tablet's SD card as another DISK drive in your pc? With formatting options, sd card properties and stuff that you can do with a flash drive or an external hdd? This is my question, but i believe this is not possible.


I have no problems it must be your USB drivers as mine sees it as a Device
I open mine up from my computer then open the SD card and transfer all my Movies and Pictures direct to the SD card I can open up files on Device or Card
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G Pad.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	2572910  
Last edited by brian566; 11th February 2014 at 01:56 PM. Reason: picture
12th February 2014, 02:43 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
7 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Hi again, i've attached some print screens with the issue i'm trying to explain. The main thing that bothers me is the clearly slower speed for transferring files using windows explorer. With total commander it goes almost double the speed rate. Plus, why should i download a file to my pc instead of downloading it directly to g pad's sd card? Waste of time in my opinion.
But recently i did read somewhere that jelly bean does NOT support usb mass storage, so i guess that answers my question.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	g pad 1.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	2575208   Click image for larger version

Name:	pad properties.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	2575209   Click image for larger version

Name:	pad properties 2.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	2575210   Click image for larger version

Name:	sony properties 2.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	2575211   Click image for larger version

Name:	sony properties.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	2575216  


Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes