Ask a question

No registration required

8 core update for exynos? !

OP Ahmedmoataz

12th February 2014, 04:47 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 18

76 posts
So...., are we getting this 8 core update or what?
12th February 2014, 04:56 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 26

321 posts
Doesn't seem like it , it's been confirmed that note 3 will not be getting the 8 core patch...since it's in essence a smaller version of the note 10.1 , well you do the math.

Can someone prove me wrong?? (please)
12th February 2014, 07:16 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 326

3,287 posts
There are both thermal and battery life concerns. If Samsung thought this would up the anti for performance and not compromise stability or battery life, they would probably release it.
12th February 2014, 07:41 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 251

1,688 posts
it would be nice to turn off the weaker cores then. i'd suspect them to be a cause of a lot of the lagginess and frame drops in video players. bs player has been the smoothest so far.
12th February 2014, 07:44 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 70

586 posts
I believe there were a few articles floating around specifically saying that the CPU in the note 10.1 2014 edition could potentially get the true octacore mode. I believe there were also demo videos using this tablet in another thread.
12th February 2014, 08:12 PM   |  #6  
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 4,400

8,972 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNee1988

I believe there were a few articles floating around specifically saying that the CPU in the note 10.1 2014 edition could potentially get the true octacore mode. I believe there were also demo videos using this tablet in another thread.

Here's the thread from the N3 forum showing a tablet running HMP. It's clearly a test mule and not a N10.1-14. Here's the bottom line about adding HMP after the fact - there's nothing in it for Samsung. All the current products are marketed with a defined "high end" performance capability and are vaguely marketed as "four core" for S-800 and "1.9+1.3" for Octa. What's the benefit to Samsung of lighting up all eight cores to exceed today's performance and to take on the burden of the impact to battery life and potential thermal issues? All for something that only enthusiasts (us) know or care about.

The only clear benefit of implementing HMP is adding the four A7 cores on top of the four A15 cores to improve high-end performance which will end up tanking today's battery life. As implemented, 1-4 cores of each cluster can run within a given cluster and the gains of mixing and matching clusters (EG: 4 A7+1 A15 vs. 2/3 A15) is unproven and questionable.

So maybe future Octa chips will run HMP but, primarily because there's no benefit to Samsung of doing anything to existing devices, I don't see it being made retroactive.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2556264
12th February 2014, 08:18 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 13

242 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles

frame drops in video players. bs player has been the smoothest so far.

With what kind of videos do you experience frame drops? I use my tablet very often while using my cross-trainer to watch video and never experienced any frame drops. I tried MX Player, Dice Player and VPlayer and they are all smooth - actually no wonder, because they all use the HW acceleration for playback which can handle HD content without any problems.
13th February 2014, 01:59 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 251

1,688 posts
aac and ac3 seem to cause the most problems SD and HD. I generally keep the nitrate around 2.5 Mb/s just for portability sake. container doesn't matter as avi, mkv, and mp4 all have the drops. I've used mx, BS, Archos, xbmc, and a few others and installed custom codecs if needed. heck even Netflix has a few frame drops. maybe I'm just too sensitive to it, but my s4, gn2, and gn8 have no problems. my old gn10.1 had no problems either. this 10.1 2014 is also the first Samsung device I've had that doesn't natively support ac3. hardware playback with alternative players do play the ac3 audio, but with dropped frames.
The Following User Says Thank You to madsquabbles For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th February 2014, 02:40 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 3

13 posts
So does the note 2014 doesn't have HMP?

Does the new one 12.2 has it.
13th February 2014, 07:00 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 13

242 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles

aac and ac3 seem to cause the most problems SD and HD.

That's strange, almost all my video files contain ac3 6-channels audio and playback is smooth without any frame drops.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread