Problem with Linksys ea4500 router

Search This thread

recDNA

Aug 24, 2011
I have noticed that even though the router is in the room I sit my note 3 is much slower on 5 gHz band than 2.4 gHz band. This is frustrating because every other device in the house (10 devices) is connected to 2.4 gHz band since they are further away from router. Theoretically I should get much faster service on the 5 gHz band that is unused by any other device and less prone to interference from other local wifi routers (none close enough to even give 1 bar anyway but they do show up on list so I assume some interference is possible).

I have a Linksys ea4500 dual band router. My speed we connected to ether net through router is a little over 50 mbps. My wifi speed on my Motorola Razr Maxx HD is about 20 mbps even though it is upstairs and at the other end of the house. My wife's Ipads are about the same as my note 3 about 8 mbps on 2.4 gHz. On 5 gHz my note 3 only downloads at about 3 mbps although it's upload speed is about 8 mbps.

Any suggestions? Xfinity and Linksys customer service are useless.

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
I think you are going to have to experiment. (The N3 has few WiFi controls in the stock UI, so I would concentrate on the router settings.)

Your router allows you to logically separate the two radio bands (see manual pg 34) into distinct networks with different SSIDs, and then toggles to control individual protocols e.g. g/n/ac and/or "mixed" vs single modes in each logical network/band.

So I would experiment with those... and perhaps even go so far as to turn off all your other devices to see if they are affecting your measurements. Not that you would operate that way, but it might provide you with a few more clues.

good luck

johnciaccio

Aug 20, 2010
I would also do a factory reset on the router. I own the same one and after having several different problems with speeds. Each time was fixed by doing a factory reset.

---------- Post added at 04:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 AM ----------

Do a factory reset on the router.

recDNA

Aug 24, 2011
I would also do a factory reset on the router. I own the same one and after having several different problems with speeds. Each time was fixed by doing a factory reset.

---------- Post added at 04:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 AM ----------

Do a factory reset on the router.

When you do the reset does it return to original firmware? Does it let you go to setup menu or do you have to use the smart wifi ui?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

johnciaccio

Aug 20, 2010
When you do the reset does it return to original firmware? Does it let you go to setup menu or do you have to use the smart wifi ui?

It just clears the data. You keep whatever firmware you had in it. There have been several firmware upgrades for it so whichever one you had would still be there. After just go to 192.168.1.1 to change your password. Etc.

It is good router just a little finicky sometimes.