Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,719 Members 38,567 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Your opinion and experience with the One Mini

Tip us?

Calculating Infinity
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Question Your opinion and experience with the One Mini

Hello everybody,

I'm thinking of buying the HTC One Mini so I would love to hear your opinion and experience with it. I've watched the reviews and have seen it in person, but I'm interested in it's performance after a few months, is the construction as good as they say in the reviews? I'm not a heavy user, I'd use it for browsing, email and perhaps some youtube, but that's about it. I chose it because of the design and the display. My second choice would be the S4 mini.

Whatever you share, I'm sure I'll find it useful so thanks in advance.

burnstine
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default its all about your preferences

as the S4 mini and the one mini have quite similar specs, it will be a choice of personal preferences.
Take both in your hand, an have a look how Touchwiz UI or Sense fit you, and how important the feel of the alloy back of the HTC is for you.

regrds

Calculating Infinity
Old
(Last edited by Calculating Infinity; 12th February 2014 at 01:49 PM.) Reason: used a wrong term
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnstine View Post
as the S4 mini and the one mini have quite similar specs, it will be a choice of personal preferences.
Take both in your hand, an have a look how Touchwiz UI or Sense fit you, and how important the feel of the alloy back of the HTC is for you.

regrds
I doubt I'll be running the stock launchers on either device, I'm more interested in the build quality and such, software can be easily changed.

Thanks for the reply.

RuffBuster
Old
(Last edited by RuffBuster; 9th March 2014 at 10:53 PM.)
Thanks Meter 119
It looks and feels nicer than the S4 mini. But the nice metal uni-body means nothing if you end up using some kind of case. The screen is definitely an improvement over the S4 mini, as it's higher definition and sharper.

Personally I'm not to fussed about sense, I use an alternative launcher. But the rest of the software is all good in my opinion.

Performance wise phone runs great for what's inside, but I can't help feeling that having a little more ram like the S4 would make all the difference.

If you do get the HTC One mini stay away from the white version, as it seems to be plagued with cracks in the plastics after very little use.

Sent from my HTC One using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
Samsung Galaxy S iNand
Mackay CM9 2014 1.7
21 AUG 2014
The Following User Says Thank You to RuffBuster For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rashad1
Old
Thanks Meter 71
I have the silver HTC one Mini and I only have 1 crack on the side from it flying out of my pocket onto concrete. It hasn't gotten any mystery cracks people have been complaining about. They really should have given this thing more RAM too. 1GB doesn't really cut it with Sense, I recommend you flash CM11 on it, it runs a lot smoother.
The Following User Says Thank You to rashad1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Calculating Infinity
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
I do wonder, after a year or two of usage, what happens if my battery malfunctions, how can we replace it? I know it's not replaceable, but I never had a phone with a non-removable battery so I'm wondering could that be a problem in the long run? I'm not concerned about the day to day usage, I can easily buy some portable charger solution.

RuffBuster
Old
Thanks Meter 119
Battery should last a couple of years. And if you did want a new one, you'd have to send it to a HTC service centre. I would never attempt to take a apart such a phone myself.

I got an Anker backup battery for Christmas which is a great addition to a sealed phone.

personally I miss the removable battery option. a spare battery takes up less room than a backup unit. And heavy user's will definitely want to replace the battery after a year or two. I have done so with previous phones.

Sent from my HTC One using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
Samsung Galaxy S iNand
Mackay CM9 2014 1.7
21 AUG 2014
The Following User Says Thank You to RuffBuster For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

abzboi
Old
Thanks Meter 44
You should get the htc one mini or wait for the 2nd generation. What I know about the 2nd generation is that it's using the quad core version of qualcomm 400 and has expandable micro sd card. The speaker and everything is very nice about the htc one mini. The only problem I've had is the hairline crack. I had like 7 cracks on my first htc one mini and now my second one( had it for about 2 months) only have 1 crack on the volume control which is not a big problem. I'll wait until it has more cracks then I ask for a replacement or what they could do about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to abzboi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]