Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,477 Members 40,217 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Power button defect. Phone keeps rebooting

Tip us?

Ruin2580
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Default Power button defect. Phone keeps rebooting

Hi, my sister's epic 4g touch has a problem with power button. It keeps rebooting. I found out that power switch is defected.
I called sprint store, then one guy said that repair cost around 75. In addition, I found online fix service cost around $40 + shipping.

I found that I can buy replacement switched 4 fot 5, but I am not good at soldering.

1. Is there any place that I can fix it for less or free?

2. Do you think soldering power switch on e4gt easier for beginner solder?

3. If solder better, is it ok to go with cheap soldering iron? or temp managed soldering iron?

mattzeller
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruin2580 View Post

There should be places around you that offer that service. A place by me charges $45 to replace the power switch or charging port, $70 to do both.

NOT AT ALL! That is a job for somebody with experience and a VERY steady hand

3. If solder better, is it ok to go with cheap soldering iron? or temp managed soldering iron?

When it comes to soldering irons, you get what you pay for. The cheaper ones are sometimes difficult to dial in to the correct temperatures.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

metalshreds
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruin2580 View Post
Hi, my sister's epic 4g touch has a problem with power button. It keeps rebooting. I found out that power switch is defected.
I called sprint store, then one guy said that repair cost around 75. In addition, I found online fix service cost around $40 + shipping.

I found that I can buy replacement switched 4 fot 5, but I am not good at soldering.

1) I don't know of a place that can fix it for less or for free, I think there are some sellers on ebay that will fix your phone for around ~$30-40.

2) Removing the broken button and installing the new one is not for beginners, the buttons are pretty small and there are some very tiny resistors around the button which could potentially be removed in the process and permanently damage the phone.

3) You would need a heat gun for replacing the button which may cost you around what it would cost to repair the button itself, I would also suggest soldering paste, flux, kapton tape. All those things will most likely add up to more than what it would cost to have somebody else repair your phone.

I hope that helps and good luck fixing the phone!