Originally Posted by Ruin2580
Hi, my sister's epic 4g touch has a problem with power button. It keeps rebooting. I found out that power switch is defected.
I called sprint store, then one guy said that repair cost around 75. In addition, I found online fix service cost around $40 + shipping.
I found that I can buy replacement switched 4 fot 5, but I am not good at soldering.
1. Is there any place that I can fix it for less or free?
2. Do you think soldering power switch on e4gt easier for beginner solder?
3. If solder better, is it ok to go with cheap soldering iron? or temp managed soldering iron?
1) I don't know of a place that can fix it for less or for free, I think there are some sellers on ebay that will fix your phone for around ~$30-40.
2) Removing the broken button and installing the new one is not for beginners, the buttons are pretty small and there are some very tiny resistors around the button which could potentially be removed in the process and permanently damage the phone.
3) You would need a heat gun for replacing the button which may cost you around what it would cost to repair the button itself, I would also suggest soldering paste, flux, kapton tape. All those things will most likely add up to more than what it would cost to have somebody else repair your phone.
I hope that helps and good luck fixing the phone!