Android App Review: Google Inbox to Improve Your Life – XDA TV

Recently, Google+ exploded with the announcement of Google Inbox, as … more

Damp the LG G3 Thermal Throttling

As our mobile devices grow thinner and more powerfulwith each passing generation, it’s inevitable … more

Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement Due Tomorrow

Every once in a while, Google updates theGoogle PlayDeveloper Distribution … more

LG to Release Octa-Core “Nuclun” SoC in the LG G3 Screen

LG is set to follow the likes of Samsung and other manufacture its own … more
Post Reply

OTG cable male/female

OP javiko_bcn

28th January 2014, 01:14 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Hi, anyone buyed an otg cable with male/female micro usb-usb 2.0 to connect external flash drive and keep charging the phone at same time?
I have bought that but only works the usb 2.0, i cant charge the phone. Sorry but i cant post the link of the product, here is a picture of them.

Sry for my english.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sin título.png
Views:	7056
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	2544352  
28th January 2014, 01:49 PM   |  #2  
techguyone's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 90
 
435 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
More
Make sure you have a 'charge only' lead to the charger (Shows as 'AC connected' not 'USB Connected') or you'll find you won't have enough power to do everything.
28th January 2014, 02:09 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone

Make sure you have a 'charge only' lead to the charger (Shows as 'AC connected' not 'USB Connected') or you'll find you won't have enough power to do everything.

Yes, i tried but i cant charge. I tried with other phone and works but dont have otg support.
3rd February 2014, 08:22 PM   |  #4  
dwarf77's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 15
 
69 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
More
The problem with OTG and simultanous charging is that you'll probably need a custom kernel supporting this.

Because if you use OTG (or a data cable respectively), the phone will only charge with 500 mA max. - this might not be enough to charge your phone while using power-consuming apps (navigation, games,...). If you want the phone to charge faster/draw more current, you'll need to short-circuit the data leads - but then you can't use OTG/data. Tricky...
Last edited by dwarf77; 4th February 2014 at 10:15 AM.
8th February 2014, 11:20 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarf77

The problem with OTG and simultanous charging is that you'll probably need a custom kernel supporting this.

Because if you use OTG (or a data cable respectively), the phone will only charge with 500 mA max. - this might not be enough to charge your phone while using power-consuming apps (navigation, games,...). If you want the phone to charge faster/draw more current, you'll need to short-circuit the data leads - but then you can't use OTG/data. Tricky...

I think that is not the reason because if i try to charge only didn't work, i think the charging cable is not compatible with moto g like some chargers specific for some patents.
If someone knows a cable like that to charge and use usb stick or something compatible with moto g I would appreciate.
8th February 2014, 12:14 PM   |  #6  
dwarf77's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 15
 
69 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
More
The cable is probably working, but the kernel is not supporting it. If you use a USB y-cable, it will power a plugged-in USB stick / device, but not your Moto G. You will need a kernel or tomorrow supporting simultaneous data & charging. Have a look in the Nexus 7 sections, there you'll find more information about this.
8th February 2014, 12:56 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarf77

The cable is probably working, but the kernel is not supporting it. If you use a USB y-cable, it will power a plugged-in USB stick / device, but not your Moto G. You will need a kernel or tomorrow supporting simultaneous data & charging. Have a look in the Nexus 7 sections, there you'll find more information about this.

Yes, just as I responded you I made a ​​search on the subject and e found a kernel for it but still no one has made for moto motorola g ....
I hope someone does it soon!!!
11th February 2014, 08:43 AM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
108 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by javiko_bcn

Hi, anyone buyed an otg cable with male/female micro usb-usb 2.0 to connect external flash drive and keep charging the phone at same time?
I have bought that but only works the usb 2.0, i cant charge the phone. Sorry but i cant post the link of the product, here is a picture of them.

Sry for my english.

wow i never knew a cable like this existed. i have the normal usb otg cable.
13th February 2014, 09:32 AM   |  #9  
ashut0sh's Avatar
Member
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 23
 
95 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by javiko_bcn

Hi, anyone buyed an otg cable with male/female micro usb-usb 2.0 to connect external flash drive and keep charging the phone at same time?
I have bought that but only works the usb 2.0, i cant charge the phone. Sorry but i cant post the link of the product, here is a picture of them.

Sry for my english.

This is interesting but did you check this out:
The jack of all trades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ0S...e_gdata_player

Its :
1. Wireless SD Card reader
2. 3000mAh Portable USB charger
3. USB flash disk reader
4. USB external HDD
5. SDD
6. NAS File reader
7. WiFi hotspot



Sent from my XT1033 using xda app-developers app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes