Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,354 Members 41,791 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[T] "package was not signed correctly" when downloading an app of mine

Tip us?

nemuro
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 102

DONATE TO ME
Question [T] "package was not signed correctly" when downloading an app of mine

Hello,

I've uploaded my first apk to Google Play, made with processing 2.03.
I used this guide to sign: http://www.akeric.com/blog/?p=1352
After a few hours, when the app was visible, when trying to install, I get the "package was not signed correctly".
I'v tried it on another device rather than the one used for testing and I have the same issue.

1. is there a way to test apk's faster? It could take up to 12-24 hours for the new apk to be updated on Google Play, and that's what I have to wait to see if I now signed my apk correctly.
2. can you download the app and see if you get that issue?
3. does it matter what information you input when you create the release key using jdk? I mean, does google check against information you use in your Google Play publisher's account and then gives that error?
4. is there an alternate way of signing my apk? obviously this manual method is no good for a noob.

I am using win 7 64 bit, latest jdk7 at the time of writing, latest android sdk with just api level 10 installed, latest version of apache ant (installed manually).
HTC Topaz - waiting for android port / HTC TYTN II - for kicks / HTC Wildfire - sold / Yinlips YDPG-18 - sold

HTC HD2 EU - sold
Radio: 2.12.50.02.2 - best battery for me
NAND: Redux - The smallest fastest working HD2 rom & Haldric's Stock Desire HD GB Rom
Kernel: In Tytung we trust.

Free stuff: Simple text icons & Free Wallpapers
Find my post useful? Instead of saying "thanks", click here (it will enlarge my e-penis)

nemuro
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 102

DONATE TO ME
Default here's the fix

To anyone having this issue, STOP USING JDK 7 and install JDK 6.
Not only JDK7 outputs some warnings when you sign your apk that "the internets" say they're safe and should work anyway, but they will generate badly signed apks that malfunction when you try to install off google play saying the "package was not signed correctly".
HTC Topaz - waiting for android port / HTC TYTN II - for kicks / HTC Wildfire - sold / Yinlips YDPG-18 - sold

HTC HD2 EU - sold
Radio: 2.12.50.02.2 - best battery for me
NAND: Redux - The smallest fastest working HD2 rom & Haldric's Stock Desire HD GB Rom
Kernel: In Tytung we trust.

Free stuff: Simple text icons & Free Wallpapers
Find my post useful? Instead of saying "thanks", click here (it will enlarge my e-penis)
Tags
ant, apk, jdk, processing, signing