Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,359 Members 41,774 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Lag after low memory

Tip us?

workerantDroid
Old
(Last edited by workerantDroid; 12th February 2014 at 05:31 PM.) Reason: add all recommendations are welcome
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Talking [Q] Lag after low memory

Hi all. My question is at the bottom if you want to skip the rant.

Maybe this might help someone in someway. For those experiencing lag that just want a solution, or for those who want to find why this happen maybe they can replicate the problem.

So these are the things I did that I think caused the problem.

1st) load the 32gig internal to almost full... I think it was down to about 900mb of free space.
2nd) I delete a few empty folders like the "video" and "Music" folders. I am not 100% if there were any hidden file cause mine is not root to be able to see those hidden files.

so after all this, N10 was running very slow. Even displaying the HOME SCREEN was lagging. I thought maybe that 900mb is too low, so I started to delete my files. But despite having 14gig of free space, it still lag. All the app takes about 30sec to 1min to load, including chrome browser and android Setting. Shutdown the tablet and boot it back up still didn't fix the problem.

After many search on here, nobody seem to have a solution for this. The lag was too much, time for backup and reset.

Backup time wasn't easy either. I wanted to copy all folders and files to my PC (USB cable connection), but with the select all it started to copy and stop along the way. No err msg, the copy just stop like it's done but I see not all folders were copied. Had to do manual copy. Just copy things I THINK are important. Especially the device ID that I learned from my dead A500.

And I made screen shot of my app list. Titanium refuse to backup without root.

The reset took about 5mins. After seeing the dead android icon hundreds of time on my A500, I was afraid but the android icon on this N10 reset kept going and so was the status bar below it. All was done and N10 is like new again. SUPER FAST....but empty. Use my screen shots as guide to reinstall all the apps I want and skip the one I no longer want. Disable many bloat-wares.

Disabled apps
===================
Gmail - I hate the conversation view but can't disable. Use the Email app instead.
Google Korean keyboard - I don't know Korean maybe I'll learn later.. haha
Google Pinyin
Google play Magazines
Google+
Hangouts
iWnn IME
iWnnIME Keyboard (White)
Keep
Movie Studio
TalkBack
Wallet

App that I add and find very useful are
=================
Android Weather - the widget is very well displayed and can resize on the screen.
ASTRO File Manager - Luv the app but need to find a way to turn off the "Recent open"
Battery Monitor Widget - Luv the app and the widget too can be customize to display exactly what I want
Best Screen Filter - I prefer an app that can invert the color for night time reading.. is there such an app?
BSPlayer FREE - play all the video format, I luv the VLC on PC but the one for Android is not as good. This BS come closer
Power Toggles - awesome widget.
QuickPic - Love how it doesn't crop the thumbnail to square. But I notice when deleting pics it's much slower than the OEM Gallery app.
Volume in Notification - exactly what it said... instead of using the physical button which at times I have no idea in which corner to look for it.

==================================
==================================
Now finally for my question. My N10 is awesome right now, anyway I can CLONE this so if I have problems in the future I can wipe it clean and put back this CLONE in this PERFECT state?

Any recommendation to improve things also appreciated....... like make it easier to read at night.

PS: sorry for the long rant.

Screen shot to show the widgets.

XxLordxX
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,035

DONATE TO ME
Hi,

First of all, the low memory issue already happened to me, I also backed up and then formatted it, it was one of the best things I ever done to it IMHO . I installed CM11 and now it's booting in ≈20sec and it's faster than ever.

For the lag in the launcher I recommend installing a third party one. I'm using NOVA launcher and it never disappointed me. Also I personally like some other apps over the ones you are using. So I think I'll share it too, as you may find it useful .

Quote:
ASTRO --> FX File Manager
BSPlayer Free --> MX Video Player
QuickPic --> Google+ Photos / Stock Gallery App
Widgets --> Beautiful Widgets / HD Widgets
Now for your question!! If you don't mind unlocking the bootloader, you can flash a recovery like TWRP and backup your device system, data, etc. Also you will be able to easily factory reset and clear cache (it's also a great thing to do when your device is too slow).

For the widgets you can backup it with NOVA Launcher .

~Lord

"Time is too short to cry, long enough to try." - March of Time (Helloween)
Sent from my KitKat Nexus 10
The Following User Says Thank You to XxLordxX For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ZanshinG1
Old
Thanks Meter 75
Sounds like TRIM was running to free up space from the deleted files. It will cause lag.

workerantDroid
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanshinG1 View Post
Sounds like TRIM was running to free up space from the deleted files. It will cause lag.
What does it do and how long for it to do it with 14gig of free space to free? I thought there might be something managing memory in the back so I let it sit for more than 2 days, still lag.

How much is little free space anyway?

XxLordxX did give some ways to backup my current setup, but I want a simple "clone" way instead of all these backup and reinstall. Is there such a way as clone?
Tags
lag