Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,856 Members 46,649 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Sony SW2 as an independent device ?

Tip us?

md.stage
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Sony SW2 as an independent device ?

Hello,

I m a mobile developer, and I would like to develop an app for a family need : a medicament reminder, using NFC.

The idea is :
- Display/notify with a reminder when a medicament have to be taken
- This reminder can be canceled only with NFC, that would be the pill box. (can be snoozed or really canceled without the box if needed of course)

The thing is that would be for a person without a smartphone, as a watch is much more easy to always keep.

The point that will decide if I write this app or not is the following:

Can the Sony SW2 be a independent device using the NFC feature ?
The app could be installed + configured from a computer, but then the SW2 would be used only as a normal watch but with this app as a special feature.

themissionimpossible
Old
(Last edited by themissionimpossible; 3rd February 2014 at 11:34 AM.)
Thanks Meter 49
Please consider that without owning a smartphone the SW2 doesn't even start: bluetooth pairing is needed just out of the box.

No direct NFC use is currently possible: I suspect that the SW2 behaves passively just like a NFC tag.

Alternatively, you could try to develop an app that loads data from a smartphone (not a computer) but then could also work without an active BT connection, e.g. a schedule reminder.

md.stage
Old
(Last edited by md.stage; 3rd February 2014 at 01:43 PM.) Reason: typo
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the answer.

I own a smarthphone, so then when I install the app I could use it to start the watch.

But "No direct NFC use is currently possible" makes it much less interesting to me...

Quote:
Alternatively, you could try to develop an app that loads data from a smartphone (not a computer) but then could also work without an active BT connection, e.g. a schedule reminder.
Yes that's a possibility, but it removes all the interesting point of the feature, making the alarm stoppable only on very precise conditions (here the nfc...)

md.stage
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I m really not familiar with this environment, but does anyone knows if that could be doable using another os/firmware ?
Using the open-smartwatch-project or what is proposed on the github underverk / SmartWatch ? (cannot yet post link because of spam prevention)