[Q] TWRP

Search This thread

MColbath

Oct 28, 2013
I updated the software on my DEB Nexus 7 from KOTH49H to KVT49L and now I can't install TWRP.
Are they in progress of making a new recovery img so that it works or should I revert back to KOT49H?

MColbath

Oct 28, 2013
There is no error it flashes TWRP and then when I boot recovery it is still stock recovery. I am unrooted.

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

MColbath

Oct 28, 2013
Can you outline the exact steps you are doing to flash?

I originally started out with PA 5.0 BETA but, then I reverted to stock to get the update. Full flash black to 4.4.2 KOT49H then I factory reset it once more to make sure everything is okay. After that I completed the setup Wizard and let all the apps update, after that was done I would reboot the tablet and then activate developer options. I flash using a batch I made that simply boots the tablet into bootloader then it uses the command fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.1-deb.img and reboots the device. Once it boots up I reboot into recovery and it shows the stock recovery instead of TWRP.

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
I originally started out with PA 5.0 BETA but, then I reverted to stock to get the update. Full flash black to 4.4.2 KOT49H then I factory reset it once more to make sure everything is okay. After that I completed the setup Wizard and let all the apps update, after that was done I would reboot the tablet and then activate developer options. I flash using a batch I made that simply boots the tablet into bootloader then it uses the command fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.1-deb.img and reboots the device. Once it boots up I reboot into recovery and it shows the stock recovery instead of TWRP.

In the process of resetting back to factory, did it relock your bootloader? I ask only because some tools do this automatically. I had to ask.

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
Nah, I did it manually to see if locking and re-unlocking it would allow TWRP to be flashed but, that didn't work.

Welp, can you BOOT into twrp...i.e. fastboot boot openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.1-deb.img then you can root it (a suggestion to use goo was here, but forget that).

If you can boot into twrp using the above suggestion, you can at least root and get some stuff done while waiting for a fix or update or someone more knowledgeable than I to solve your issue.

The only thing I can think of is that the bootloader changed and we are back to where you started, waiting for them to update it for your bootloader.

Last edited:
Reactions: MColbath

MColbath

Oct 28, 2013
Welp, can you BOOT into twrp...i.e. fastboot boot openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.1-deb.img then you can root it and try using...goo manager (never used this myself heard some good, some bad things, about it YMMV etc etc).

No, well I can temporarily boot into TWRP using Wugfresh's kit but, that's the only way I can boot into TWRP. I'm not sure if that will work but, I will give it a shot.

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
I am browsing the root and it seems like they made a backup file that defaults it back to the original recovery. I am assuming this has something to do with Verizon because they patched a lot of stuff in the update or so it seems.

Hmm, as you probably know there is a file that is normally renamed in the process of installing recoveries to prevent that, my guess is they changed the name or location or added a new one (with a diff name) or did something with the permissions so it could not be renamed, and I'll bet if you boot into twrp and rename that file you'll be able to flash and boot into twrp, though I'd make sure the contents of that file ONLY do that one thing, and that renaming it won't cause it to boot loop.

MColbath

Oct 28, 2013
Hmm, as you probably know there is a file that is normally renamed in the process of installing recoveries to prevent that, my guess is they changed the name or added a new one (with a diff name), and I'll bet if you boot into twrp and rename that file you'll be able to flash and boot into twrp, though I'd make sure the contents of that file ONLY do that one thing, and that renaming it won't cause it to boot loop.

Yeah there are new backup files all over the place in System partition.

Top Liked Posts