5,605,026 Members 34,515 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] LTE & GSM signal, off and on.

Tip us?

buyslake
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] LTE & GSM signal, off and on.

Please advise.

My S4 is acting very strange. The signal completely goes off every couple minutes and then comes back on. When it comes back on it has full bars and LTE. But then it goes off again.

The phone is driving me crazy.

I have tried a couple different roms.

Currently on Darthstalker rom 12.11.2013 release

My question is............ Is the modem updated when darthstalker is installed?

Any thing I can try to fix this problem?

Every time it goes off I go into settings and toggle the mobile data check box and it seems to come back on and messing with it a few try's.

Is this a hardware problem or can I get it resolved with a new modem or something?

Please advise. This phone is testing my patience. I put a new display in it and a new usb board. I have almost a $1,000 in this phone now and it is dropping the signal constantly.

baseballfanz
Old
Thanks Meter 1708
Modem does not change with ROM flash. It's something you need to flash with Odin separately.

☞ Sent from here☜

buyslake
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballfanz View Post
Modem does not change with ROM flash. It's something you need to flash with Odin separately.

☞ Sent from here☜

Could the modem be causing problem? Does anyone have a link to a modem I should use with the darthstalker rom?

Does the kernel affect it? Do I need to change that?

lordcheeto03
Old
Thanks Meter 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by buyslake View Post
Could the modem be causing problem? Does anyone have a link to a modem I should use with the darthstalker rom?

Does the kernel affect it? Do I need to change that?
Yes, it is the modem, not the kernel causing the problem. Search for "MK2 modem" in the general section. There's a how-to guide that explains exactly what to do and how to do it along with download links for everything you will need.
Don't be afraid of the "Thanks" button

buyslake
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcheeto03 View Post
Yes, it is the modem, not the kernel causing the problem. Search for "MK2 modem" in the general section. There's a how-to guide that explains exactly what to do and how to do it along with download links for everything you will need.

There are 2 modems here.

Do I flash them both? Do they over right each other?

I did before but I think I flashed them as pda instead of phone. How do I clean that out? I just redo as phone?

Can I use one of these LTE modes on the T-Mobile version?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2192025

lordcheeto03
Old
Thanks Meter 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by buyslake View Post
There are 2 modems here.

Do I flash them both? Do they over right each other?

I did before but I think I flashed them as pda instead of phone. How do I clean that out? I just redo as phone?

Can I use one of these LTE modes on the T-Mobile version?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2192025
Follow this guide exactly. There are two files, yes. Once you flash the files, you will want to go to settings->about and check your baseband. If it says MK2 you're done; if it still says anything else then you need to do it again. It may work first time or it may take 5; point is keep trying until it sticks.

I don't know what flashing as PDA instead of Phone would do, so if there's nothing wrong don't worry about it. Just follow the guide exactly. If the guide says to flash both files, then yes you flash both files.

As for your other question; unless you have the International S4 (i9505) then stay away from those modems. Especially speaking of Odin, you should never flash anything not specifically meant for your variant unless you are willing to possibly have an expensive paperweight.
Don't be afraid of the "Thanks" button