Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,386 Members 38,567 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

some questions about people have s4 active

Tip us?

muiacir
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Default some questions about people have s4 active

I want to buy this phone and have some questions
1 - does it have multiwindow like 9500?
2 - does it have modes of camera like 9500 for exampls drama shot , slow and fast motion?
3 - does it have sensors for air view , smart pause and etc...
4 - does it have voice command?for answer call , capture image amd .....
5 - does it have 4.3 official rom?
6 - why developers are not very active for thia phone like 9500 and 9505?
7 - does it have "increase touch sensitivity?
The best rom for 9505

Devo7v
Old
Thanks Meter 341
I assume you're looking to get the i9295 (international) and not the i537 (AT&T), so I'll try to answer these:
Quote:
Originally Posted by muiacir View Post
I want to buy this phone and have some questions
1 - does it have multiwindow like 9500?
It does have multi-window, the firmware and interface is almost exactly like the i9500.
Quote:
2 - does it have modes of camera like 9500 for exampls drama shot , slow and fast motion?
The camera has several modes including Aqua Mode where you can take a picture by pressing the volume button. However it does not have slow or fast motion. The camera on the i9295 is different than the one on the i9500. The S4 Active has an 8MP camera while the regular S4 has a 13MP camera. People have asked about porting the slow/fast motion to this phone, but so far nothing.

Quote:
3 - does it have sensors for air view , smart pause and etc...
It has all of these features. Again the firmware is nearly identical to the i9500.
Quote:
4 - does it have voice command?for answer call , capture image amd .....
Yes, see above.
Quote:
5 - does it have 4.3 official rom?
The i537 has an official 4.3 ROM, but the i9295 does not yet. More on this is explained in the next question.
Quote:
6 - why developers are not very active for thia phone like 9500 and 9505?
Part of the problem is the way Samsung released this phone. They released it about 6 months after they released the regular S4, so everybody who wanted a new phone got the S4 and when the S4 Active came out there were not enough changes and it wasn't marketed in a way that people were willing to buy a new phone so quickly. Therefore, the S4 Active didn't sell nearly the numbers that the S4 did. Secondly, they marketed it as a waterproof phone and if you look through the forums you'll see that it's not waterproof, but water-resistent. A lot of people ended up destroying their phones by doing exactly what Samsung did in the commercials. Samsung has offered a 1-time replacement due to water damage, but all of these claims caused them to stop marketing the phone. It seems that Samsung has really just "forgotten" about this phone since it has a small userbase. I think they're just hoping it will go away with all the problems they've had.

Another reason is the i537 (AT&T) has a locked bootloader so development has really been stalled, really on all AT&T and Verizon Samsung phones that have a locked bootloader. That said there are ways you can use ROMs developed for the regular S4 on the S4 Active. So although there's not much development in the S4 Active forums you can use ROMs meant for the regular S4 so there is actually a lot of choice.
Quote:
7 - does it have "increase touch sensitivity?
Settings->My Device->Display->High Touch Sensitivity

I really like this phone, particularly the hard keys at the bottom. I too wish there was more development but unfortunately it just didn't sell that well. I haven't had any problems with it and I think the LCD screen looks much better than the Amoled on the regular S4, particularly in direct sunlight. Hopefully this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Devo7v For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

muiacir
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo7v View Post
I assume you're looking to get the i9295 (international) and not the i537 (AT&T), so I'll try to answer these:

It does have multi-window, the firmware and interface is almost exactly like the i9500.

The camera has several modes including Aqua Mode where you can take a picture by pressing the volume button. However it does not have slow or fast motion. The camera on the i9295 is different than the one on the i9500. The S4 Active has an 8MP camera while the regular S4 has a 13MP camera. People have asked about porting the slow/fast motion to this phone, but so far nothing.

It has all of these features. Again the firmware is nearly identical to the i9500.

Yes, see above.

The i537 has an official 4.3 ROM, but the i9295 does not yet. More on this is explained in the next question.

Part of the problem is the way Samsung released this phone. They released it about 6 months after they released the regular S4, so everybody who wanted a new phone got the S4 and when the S4 Active came out there were not enough changes and it wasn't marketed in a way that people were willing to buy a new phone so quickly. Therefore, the S4 Active didn't sell nearly the numbers that the S4 did. Secondly, they marketed it as a waterproof phone and if you look through the forums you'll see that it's not waterproof, but water-resistent. A lot of people ended up destroying their phones by doing exactly what Samsung did in the commercials. Samsung has offered a 1-time replacement due to water damage, but all of these claims caused them to stop marketing the phone. It seems that Samsung has really just "forgotten" about this phone since it has a small userbase. I think they're just hoping it will go away with all the problems they've had.

Another reason is the i537 (AT&T) has a locked bootloader so development has really been stalled, really on all AT&T and Verizon Samsung phones that have a locked bootloader. That said there are ways you can use ROMs developed for the regular S4 on the S4 Active. So although there's not much development in the S4 Active forums you can use ROMs meant for the regular S4 so there is actually a lot of choice.

Settings->My Device->Display->High Touch Sensitivity

I really like this phone, particularly the hard keys at the bottom. I too wish there was more development but unfortunately it just didn't sell that well. I haven't had any problems with it and I think the LCD screen looks much better than the Amoled on the regular S4, particularly in direct sunlight. Hopefully this helps.
Well
really thanks my friend for your compelete answer
1 - the lcd is amoled but you said it is better that 9500?
2 - you said i can use roms of 9500 for this phone?
3 - this phone is not waterproof?i want to capture under rainy weather and in swiming pool undef water , you mean i can not?
The best rom for 9505

Devo7v
Old
Thanks Meter 341
Quote:
Well
really thanks my friend for your compelete answer
1 - the lcd is amoled but you said it is better that 9500?
LCD and Amoled are fundamentally different. For an LCD screen the entire screen turns on in order to show colors and blacks. With Amoled, only colored pixels turn on, if a pixel is supposed to be black it does not turn on and therefore does not draw power. This is how the Moto X is able to show those active notifications without killing your battery. As far as which is better or worse, it really is a matter of personal preference. You can read up more on LCD vs Amoled, there are tons of articles about it, but what I've come to find is that it's really just preference.
Quote:
2 - you said i can use roms of 9500 for this phone?
Yeah, you should be able to if you flash a i9295 kernel afterwards. There are a couple people you specifically want to ask about this since I have an i537 and cannot flash kernels. Ask @ohwarumbloss and @spegelius. They have been working on porting ROMs and would know exactly what ROMs work on the i9295 and which don't. I'm 99% sure you can use i9500, but you should make sure before you make your decision.
Quote:
3 - this phone is not waterproof?i want to capture under rainy weather and in swiming pool undef water , you mean i can not?
So this is how the phone has been advertised, and I have personally used mine in the shower to listen to music without any problems. There are reports of people taking their phone in the pool and getting water damage. There are also people who have taken pictures in the pool and have not had any problems. For more on the water damage issue take a look at this thread, it'll give you both sides of the story.
The Following User Says Thank You to Devo7v For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Miami_Son
Old
Thanks Meter 356
A lot of the water issues are user error. Either the charging port cover was damaged or not seated properly or the phone back was not properly installed. My experience with the water-resistency has been incredible (you can read about it in one of the threads in General). I am disappointed that there isn't more development for the i537, but I'm rooted and the phone does all I want it to, so I'm happy...for now.
Google Nexus 7 32gb Wifi
Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (rooted)
Samsung Galaxy SII (sold)
Samsung Captivate (traded in)
HTC Tilt 2 (on bedroom duty)
LG Incite (long gone)
RAZR V3 (my 1st net-enabled phone)
"Well miami has a point..." - Leezrd
The Following User Says Thank You to Miami_Son For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]