XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Should I buy an S4?

Tip us?

GagesiPad
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default Should I buy an S4?

Hey! Right now I have a Galaxy Note 2 and I was just curious if I should get an S4. I have a little over a year before I can upgrade again and I'm finding Galaxy S4s on Craigslist in my area around $250-$350, which isn't all that much more than a regular upgrade. I like the higher resolution display they have and the better camera, but I'm not sure if that would be the only thing I'd be getting out of it. Also, since there are developer edition S4s, I figured I could easily flash it to Kitkat, such as CM11, and expect no bugs or glitches. What's everyone's thought on going from a note 2 to an S4? Worth the money? Do you think it'd hold me off another year?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by GagesiPad View Post
Hey! Right now I have a Galaxy Note 2 and I was just curious if I should get an S4. I have a little over a year before I can upgrade again and I'm finding Galaxy S4s on Craigslist in my area around $250-$350, which isn't all that much more than a regular upgrade. I like the higher resolution display they have and the better camera, but I'm not sure if that would be the only thing I'd be getting out of it. Also, since there are developer edition S4s, I figured I could easily flash it to Kitkat, such as CM11, and expect no bugs or glitches. What's everyone's thought on going from a note 2 to an S4? Worth the money? Do you think it'd hold me off another year?

Well if the things listed here justify spending the cash I'd say go for it!
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/com...ones/7597,7254

I love mine. But definitely get a dev or mdk version. And I'd feel safer getting one off swappa myself.

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Mistertac For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GagesiPad
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac View Post
Well if the things listed here justify spending the cash I'd say go for it!
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/com...ones/7597,7254

I love mine. But definitely get a dev or mdk version. And I'd feel safer getting one off swappa myself.

That link helped a lot bro. Thanks! It does seem that the S4 has some nice hardware upgrades from my note 2. It has camera stabilization too! That may explain why my pictures get blurry quite often. You may see me in the GS4 forums soon!!!

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 673
Quote:
That link helped a lot bro. Thanks! It does seem that the S4 has some nice hardware upgrades from my note 2. It has camera stabilization too! That may explain why my pictures get blurry quite often. You may see me in the GS4 forums soon!!!

Happy I could help. I always use that site when comparing phones.
And I'll say the camera on the S4 is really awesome. The note 2 is still a beast of a phone though. Lot of development for it also. Good luck whichever way you go!

The Following User Says Thank You to Mistertac For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AndroidSmitty
Old
Thanks Meter 3
if you want an unlocked bootloader then no you don't want one, other than that its an awesome device.

GagesiPad
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidSmitty View Post
if you want an unlocked bootloader then no you don't want one, other than that its an awesome device.
Can you still flash ROMs with a locked bootloader? I cant stay on stock touchwiz... its bloated and horrific.

a.demarco
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:

if you can't get a dev edition or a retail edition on mdk don't bother. on anything after mdk there is no custom recovery, only safestrap. and even on mdk there is no unlocked bootloader, just a loki exploit that allows us to flash twrp.

the phone is a great phone, but if you are looking to mod it, you have very few choices with the s4 unfortunately.
Current Phone - Samsung Galaxy S4 MDK build. Rooted and loki'd
Current Tablet - Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition (SM-P600) MK1 build. Rooted & debloated

"In order to gain respect, one must earn it first."