Just Got The S4, Can't Make Calls

OP Scray XXI

13th February 2014, 05:49 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
I just got a brand new S4 two days ago, and I have been having a problem where I cannot hear the person on the other end of the phone.

I can hear the pushing of the numbers on the keypad fine, but no ringing or anything whatsoever. I have even had someone claim they called me and it never showed up on my phone. The device isn't rooted or anything.

This is the third phone this has happened with: It started with my LG Versa in '09, then my Thunderbolt and now this. As soon as I get the phone too! Nothing helps, not even a battery pull. If I am having this problem within the first few days of having this phone, shouldn't I expect this to be a reoccurring problem on all of my phones?

Why does this happen on every Verizon phone I've owned?
13th February 2014, 01:40 PM   |  #2  
Flag Webster, NY
Thanks Meter: 28

81 posts
Donate to Me
More
Crappy Cell Area???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scray XXI

I just got a brand new S4 two days ago, and I have been having a problem where I cannot hear the person on the other end of the phone.

I can hear the pushing of the numbers on the keypad fine, but no ringing or anything whatsoever. I have even had someone claim they called me and it never showed up on my phone. The device isn't rooted or anything.

This is the third phone this has happened with: It started with my LG Versa in '09, then my Thunderbolt and now this. As soon as I get the phone too! Nothing helps, not even a battery pull. If I am having this problem within the first few days of having this phone, shouldn't I expect this to be a reoccurring problem on all of my phones?

Maybe you just live in an area with ****ty Verizon coverage??? I've never found one, but they do exist. Perhaps you need to check out another carrier?
13th February 2014, 02:20 PM   |  #3  
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 1,923

3,754 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scray XXI

Like he said above I haven't found too many areas where Verizon gets bad service. They are out there though.

Call them have them check your zip code and they can tell you right away if its them or not. Then yea maybe look into another carrier if u had too. Although if big red isn't getting you good service... Chances aren't to good someone else will do much better

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk
13th February 2014, 07:32 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 3

18 posts
I can think of a few things that can cause this.

-First of all is the coverage, it could be that the place you're living at has ****y Verizon coverage.

-Secondly it could be the SimCard, "There are two typical causes; the first is physical damage to the card itself, while the second is a mix-up with your account causing a failure while provisioning the SIM card. Assuming you are on Verizon, the SIM card is responsible solely for authorizing LTE access, and so physical damage may simply result in a loss of LTE connectivity. It's unlikely to cause problems with 3G/voice connectivity. You may take a severe battery hit as your phone continually tries to connect to a network that it can't connect to, so switching off LTE in the meantime might be a good idea.If the problem is on the network side, things are different. Your phone will likely connect to LTE, however it will fail the recurring automatic network authorizations Verizon has in place. This means that every few minutes, following an authorization failure, the network will kick you. The time between failed automatic authorizations seems to be vary between six and twenty minutes. Failed authorizations can also result in a loss of signal due the radios drawing an unusually large amount of power and briefly shutting off, even if the network doesn't kick you. When this happens, your phone will lose all network access (that means LTE/3G/1x), however it will immediately start to re-acquire its signal and you'll be able to connect without issue. These authorizations also often take place when initiating data usage or placing a call. You may fail these authorizations as well, and it's extremely frustrating when this happens. Dialing a number or opening the browser will leave you with no signal for up to thirty seconds." (noted that this is a quote from someone else in another forum)

-Last but not least, the way your house is built. Sometime housing can be built in a certain way that cancel out cell phone signal (like at the place I work at. As soon as I walk in my phone signal go from 4g to 1x).
The Following User Says Thank You to Shiwoonie For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread