New Note 3 Owner, Questions About Rooting

Tip us?

BlazingGlory53
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20

DONATE TO ME
Default New Note 3 Owner, Questions About Rooting

So, after 8 years of Verizon, I decided to switch to T-Mobile, and got the Note 3. So far, I am enjoying it fairly well, but in my history of my Android ownership, I have rooted every device:

Motorola Droid
HTC Thunderbolt
Motorola Razr
Samsung Galaxy S3

Now I have the dilemma of rooting the Note 3 on MI7 firmware... I don't have the greatest T-Mobile reception at the moment, so I would like a ROM that supports WiFi calling. I don't need to go to KitKat at the moment, so I can wait until the official OTA comes out.

Things I don't like about the Note 3:
The heavy bloat - over a gig of RAM is used with basically 1 active app (Gmail)? Seems iffy. I like S-Note, but not the Samsung Hub, S Health, ChatOn, and the other bloat that turns the phone into a slug.

I also don't really like the "splish splash" haptic feedback sounds, I know you can change them while being rooted.

I think I would be perfectly happy with a 4.3 Stock-based Rom, maybe with an Aroma installer, that keeps WiFi calling, S-Pen, and makes it run faster and smoother.

I am kind of concerned about the KNOX counter, but I tend to be notoriously cautious with my phones. My last issue was in 2009, when my Droid's power button went kaput. I owned my S3, and I didn't even really have a scratch on it... I also have faith that developers could maybe find a way to reverse it, but when I talked to my local T-Mobile rep, he said that he "Couldn't care less" in regards to rooting with the JUMP! program, so I think I could be set there.

So, I just want a flat out, simple answer to:
What's the best way to root?
Do you realistically think the KNOX will be cirumvented in the future?
What recovery and stock-based rom is recommended?

Thanks for your time

Misterjunky
Old
Thanks Meter 1880

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up re: root and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingGlory53 View Post
So, after 8 years of Verizon, I decided to switch to T-Mobile, and got the Note 3. So far, I am enjoying it fairly well, but in my history of my Android ownership, I have rooted every device:

Motorola Droid
HTC Thunderbolt
Motorola Razr
Samsung Galaxy S3

Now I have the dilemma of rooting the Note 3 on MI7 firmware... I don't have the greatest T-Mobile reception at the moment, so I would like a ROM that supports WiFi calling. I don't need to go to KitKat at the moment, so I can wait until the official OTA comes out.

The heavy bloat - over a gig of RAM is used with basically 1 active app (Gmail)? Seems iffy. I like S-Note, but not the Samsung Hub, S Health, ChatOn, and the other bloat that turns the phone into a slug.

I also don't really like the "splish splash" haptic feedback sounds, I know you can change them while being rooted.

I think I would be perfectly happy with a 4.3 Stock-based Rom, maybe with an Aroma installer, that keeps WiFi calling, S-Pen, and makes it run faster and smoother.

I am kind of concerned about the KNOX counter, but I tend to be notoriously cautious with my phones. My last issue was in 2009, when my Droid's power button went kaput. I owned my S3, and I didn't even really have a scratch on it... I also have faith that developers could maybe find a way to reverse it, but when I talked to my local T-Mobile rep, he said that he "Couldn't care less" in regards to rooting with the JUMP! program, so I think I could be set there.

Thanks for your time
Root using CF-Autoroot

Here is the direct download link for CF-Autoroot:
http://download.chainfire.eu/354/CF-...etrieve_file=1
Flash using Odin.

Once rooted odin flash TWRP recovery
Here is the direct download link for TWRP recovery: http://techerrata.com/file/twrp2/jfl...1-jfltetmo.tar

Then flash the Wicked v5 stock based custom rom for Note 3 in TWRP recovery.
Here is the direct download link: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23269279319202555
Make sure you make a nandroid backup before flashing anything

Good luck!
Have a great day, enjoy!

Don't forget it takes less time to click the "THANKS" button than to type "thank you".
(unless you type very fast).

BenGentle
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I did CF-Auto-Root, TWEAKED ROM and XPosed Framework. The app inside XPosed Framework called XBlast Tools is a good start. All the things you mentioned wanting are there.
In between all that, ClockWorkMod Recovery (haven't tried (T)eam (W)in (R)ecovery (P)roject yet, but they sure look good) for ROM backup and soon Titanium Backup (not sure about pro yet) for app backup.
It's been going full steam ahead for 8 days now and I'm loving it.
Root Explorer is a beautiful thing and so is Ad Away, by the way. Not sure about Cross Breeder yet...it's next.
I should mention I can't get ANY magnet link/torrent app to download anything!

cun7
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingGlory53 View Post

Motorola Droid
HTC Thunderbolt
Motorola Razr
Samsung Galaxy S3

Thanks for your time
CF auto root is the best method. For a custom ROM, you'll need a custom recovery. The easiest way to do this is:

Download CF auto root by chainfire, follow instruction to obtain root, it is very simple.
After you boot up, verify you are rooted by download a root app and see if you get the pop up notification to grant access. If you do, you are all set.

Download tweaked ROM... put it on the root of your SD card. There is no substitution for this guy's work.

Download the latest version of twrp 2.6.3.9 found in the original development section, follow the links.
When you get to the twrp site, you want to download the package that is "open recovery script blah blah.img" The .img part is key. You do not want the .tar or .zip...

After you download, put the .img file on the root of your internal SD card (by root of your SD card I mean don't put it in a folder or directory)

Rename it to:
twrp2639.img

Download an app called "terminal emulator"

Open the app...
type the follow commands without quotes, and hit enter after each line:

"su" (it will ask for super user perms, grant it access)
"dd if=/storage/emulated/0/twrp2639.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p15"

MAKE SURE YOU GET THE 15 RIGHT!!!!!!

after you hit enter, it will give you an output in seconds that it took to transfer the package...

Again without quotes, type:
"reboot recovery" and then hit enter.

You will be taken to your new recovery, select install, and find the tweaked .zip. Select it, let it run.

Done