XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Massive problem with the tablet

Tip us?

zhuang281
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Massive problem with the tablet

I have spent about 10 hours sitting here, with over 200 tab open trying to find a solution to my problems but I could not find one. My last option is to post here and hope someone can help me out.

I recently bought the tf701t which came with Android 4.2.2. Everything worked fine. A few days ago, I got pushed an update to android 4.3 but it was .1.7 not .1.18 (the newest apparently). With that update, my problems came. When I light up the device by pressing the power button, the lock screen was unresponsive. I pressed my pin numbers in but there was no response and it was as if the touchscreen was broken. However, the home and back button were all working fine. I had to randomly keep pressing until it finally started becoming responsive. When I got in, the quick management window (the one you get by swiping down), kept popping up the moment i press the screen. Because of this, I couldnt do anything. I couldn't even turn off the tablet as the power off option was unable to be pressed by me (When i did press, the window came up again).

After a while, i managed to get around this by again randomly pressing stuff. I got really frustrated and decided maybe if I install a custom rom, this problem might be fixed.

I read around a bit and found that the CROMix rom required firmware 1.18, which I did not have. Because of this, i decided to try install 1.18. First i used the asus unlock tool. Next I tried booting into recovery but here I met my problem. I have guides telling me to first boot using power button + volume down key. This worked. It then told me to choose the RCK option and press the volume up key. This however, did not work. When I selected the RCK option, the android figure appeared lying down with a red triangle and exclamation mark over it.

Unsure of what to do in this situation, i read one of the guides on this forum which said simply place the 1.18 zip file (yes i unziped the zip file from the file i downloaded), in the root folder then reboot and it would automatically update. This didnt happen.

I then tried using the adb thing but it said no devices were connected even when my tf701t was connected to the PC. I guessed that I needed to be in the recovery mode that I could not get into, before it would work.

I then read around and they said I had to first get Rom manager + the CMR recovery thing but Rom Manager said it needed root access. In order to get root access, I needed to get into the recovery mode yet again.

So now I am stuck. Whenever I try the RCK option, the error pops up and I can't get any further.

WIll someone please help me? I have no idea what to do anymore except throw the tablet out.

Alta1r
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuang281 View Post
I have spent about 10 hours sitting here, with over 200 tab open trying to find a solution to my problems but I could not find one. My last option is to post here and hope someone can help me out.

I recently bought the tf701t which came with Android 4.2.2. Everything worked fine. A few days ago, I got pushed an update to android 4.3 but it was .1.7 not .1.18 (the newest apparently). With that update, my problems came. When I light up the device by pressing the power button, the lock screen was unresponsive. I pressed my pin numbers in but there was no response and it was as if the touchscreen was broken. However, the home and back button were all working fine. I had to randomly keep pressing until it finally started becoming responsive. When I got in, the quick management window (the one you get by swiping down), kept popping up the moment i press the screen. Because of this, I couldnt do anything. I couldn't even turn off the tablet as the power off option was unable to be pressed by me (When i did press, the window came up again).

After a while, i managed to get around this by again randomly pressing stuff. I got really frustrated and decided maybe if I install a custom rom, this problem might be fixed.

I read around a bit and found that the CROMix rom required firmware 1.18, which I did not have. Because of this, i decided to try install 1.18. First i used the asus unlock tool. Next I tried booting into recovery but here I met my problem. I have guides telling me to first boot using power button + volume down key. This worked. It then told me to choose the RCK option and press the volume up key. This however, did not work. When I selected the RCK option, the android figure appeared lying down with a red triangle and exclamation mark over it.

Unsure of what to do in this situation, i read one of the guides on this forum which said simply place the 1.18 zip file (yes i unziped the zip file from the file i downloaded), in the root folder then reboot and it would automatically update. This didnt happen.

I then tried using the adb thing but it said no devices were connected even when my tf701t was connected to the PC. I guessed that I needed to be in the recovery mode that I could not get into, before it would work.

I then read around and they said I had to first get Rom manager + the CMR recovery thing but Rom Manager said it needed root access. In order to get root access, I needed to get into the recovery mode yet again.

So now I am stuck. Whenever I try the RCK option, the error pops up and I can't get any further.

WIll someone please help me? I have no idea what to do anymore except throw the tablet out.
Did you try to put the update on the external sd card? Not sure if that would make a difference but i remember i used to put it there...

You could also flash a custom recovery and flash the update that way. You can find more info in this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2636093

YayYouFixedIt
Old
(Last edited by YayYouFixedIt; 12th February 2014 at 02:32 PM.)
Thanks Meter 38
You should safely be able to update your factory firmware first by putting it at /sdcard location.. Then just reboot. It automatic. I Thought there was also an update available in settings after that. Don't unlock til you are at 4.3.

To unlock with Asus unlock tool make sure Google 2 Step verification is disabled.

Then I used fastboot to flash CWM recovery from a computer. I think you flash with fastboot from the newly unlocked bootloader. Power + Vol DOWN.

After you have flash recovery then you can enter it. No scary man lying down.

zhuang281
Old
(Last edited by zhuang281; 12th February 2014 at 02:30 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by YayYouFixedIt View Post
You should safely be able to update your factory firmware first by putting it at /sdcard location.. Then just reboot. It automatic. I Thought there was also an update available in settings after that. Don't unlock til you are at 4.3.
I forgot to mention one thing at the start. I don't actually have on hand a external microSD card. Which I think might be why placing the zip file in the root of the internal storage did not work.

Should it work? Is there any way to get around it? I've been trying to use sideload with cwm (finally got cwm working), but it comes up with "failed to write data protocol fault no status"

EDIT: Through cwm, I chose "choose zip from /sdcard" then select the "0" file directory then i found my zip at the location. I selected it and confirmed install. However, it then comes up with "Error in data/media/0/(name of update here).zip status 6"

Thanks for the help so far but anyone have an idea about this?

YayYouFixedIt
Old
(Last edited by YayYouFixedIt; 12th February 2014 at 02:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 38
Not sure. After googling I see this
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1535546

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

You can put the zips anywhere when your recovery is installed.

zhuang281
Old
(Last edited by zhuang281; 12th February 2014 at 04:19 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Okay so I finally managed to get the custom rom installed and working. However, this did not fix my problem with the touchscreen. I think it is because it only changed the firmware but not the android version (still 4.3).

Is there any place I could find android 4.2.2 rom? This was the one the tablet was on before the update that screwed everything up. If I could downgrade to that version, it may work again.

Thanks

I gave up and just put on the android 4.3 ota from droidbasement. Now the tablet randomly restarts and is stick in reboot loop. It wont even allow me to boot into cwm recovery to delete the cache. But i accept that I now have a $600 piece of **** on my hands. Going to bed. Night.

YayYouFixedIt
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Ya i dont like the whole void your warranty for "using it" idea. If it responds to fastboot you might be ok.

Alta1r
Old
Thanks Meter 45
You should be able to download a 4.2.2 rom from Asus' website (.47 was the last build for 4.2.2). You can use fastboot to install it.

zhuang281
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta1r View Post
You should be able to download a 4.2.2 rom from Asus' website (.47 was the last build for 4.2.2). You can use fastboot to install it.
I tried that before but it stated "update aborted" immediately after i pressed confirm, in CWM.

But all that is in the past now. I am pretty sure that the tablet is hard bricked since it no longer even opens bootloader. I accidentally pressed the wipe data option and I read that irreversibly damages the tablet. When I hold pwr+vl down, nothing happens anymore, it keeps on its reboot loop.