Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,879 Members 43,519 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Options for upgrading to KitKat from 4.2.2 with TWRP

Tip us?

dodgeboy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Cool [Q] Options for upgrading to KitKat from 4.2.2 with TWRP

I stayed on 4.2.2 rooted with TWRP and never took the MJA/MK2 OTAs, to avoid knox. I've been waiting for KitKat, and I'm ready to take the plunge. I've read through a bunch of threads, and have thoroughly confused myself. I have a few basic questions, so I can determine what my options are:

1) Is it possible to go from MF9 (rooted) to NAE, and retain my data? What happens to the modifications I made to MF9 (hotspot, xposed, etc.)?
2) If the answer to 1 is no, is it reasonable to assume that there will be a flashable NAE rom in the near future, so that I wouldn't have to odin to MK2 before going through the OTA update to NAE?
3) Should I give up on trying to keep my existing bootloader, and just suck it up and take knox? It seems like there's probably enough differences in the rom and modem that the bootloader is probably a necessary evil at this point.

Thanks in advance for your help.

optimummind
Old
Thanks Meter 466
There have been several reports of people whose WiFi and data have worked just fine with the NAE ROM plus older bootloader like MF9. I'd wait until a stock rooted NAE ROM appears so we can try it with the knox-free MF9 bootloader.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to optimummind For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cfendrick
Old
Thanks Meter 73
I am in the same situation and currently on a stock rooted MF9 with a custom recovery as well. I would like to know the best upgrade path to 4.4.2 and hopefully stay on a knox free boot loader.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

optimummind
Old
Thanks Meter 466
Once Warboy releases the updated stock, rooted NAE, I'm gonna flash it with Philz recovery to see whether everything's compatible with the Knox-free MF9 bootloader. In the meanwhile, I'm gonna flash just the NAE modem. Cant wait for Kitkat~! (Even though I've had the 4.4.2 update for a long time through my Nexus 5, I'm still very excited, LOL~)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to optimummind For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sandman121383
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Im still on mdl lol.....maybe I should atleast update to mf9? Haha

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app
Carrier:Sprint
Phone:SGS4 SPH-L720
Rom:[ROM][NAE][TW 4.4] [TEAM ACHERON] SuperS4 [ODEXED]
Recovery: CWM 6.0.4.4
Firmware:MF9
Modem:NAE

SayWhat10
Old
Thanks Meter 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfendrick View Post
I am in the same situation and currently on a stock rooted MF9 with a custom recovery as well. I would like to know the best upgrade path to 4.4.2 and hopefully stay on a knox free boot loader.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

I'm in same boat
on MF9 , didnt even go to 4.3, still sitting at 4.2.2 (with the update icon in my status bar, but i assume its for 4.3 not kit kat)
Im rooted and have exposed installed
would rather have a knox free loader too!

if anybody can advise on the best route to take would be lovely
would like to have kit kat on my phone today!!

icuc
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I was on this boat but last night flashed the gummy Rom. It is okay but I would love to have the stock Rom. I don't like few things on the Gummy.

SayWhat10
Old
Thanks Meter 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by icuc View Post
I was on this boat but last night flashed the gummy Rom. It is okay but I would love to have the stock Rom. I don't like few things on the Gummy.
so you had MF9 bootloader? (and do you keep that one or switch to the knox one?)

just flashed rom with TRWP? (that'll update radio too?)

and what things dont you like on Gummy?
The Following User Says Thank You to SayWhat10 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

butterbuns
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman121383 View Post
Im still on mdl lol.....maybe I should atleast update to mf9? Haha

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app
Lol I've been wondering if anyone else stayed on 4.2.2. Lol Im rooted with custom recovery. I hit the update button the other night and it wouldn't install and that icon went away, so I got that going for me. But I can't wait for kit kat, just waiting on the whole knox deal.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda premium

icuc
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayWhat10 View Post
so you had MF9 bootloader? (and do you keep that one or switch to the knox one?)

just flashed rom with TRWP? (that'll update radio too?)

and what things dont you like on Gummy?

Yeah I have MF9 and I could keep the same.

I had issues with BT connection with my BMW but works fine with BT headset.

Home screen kind of wacky and you can't select the one that you like.

I just went back to 4.2.2 again until I find a good one.