Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,979 Members 46,539 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What phone to get after the Rezound?

Tip us?

fettfan
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] What phone to get after the Rezound?

I'll probably be replacing the Rezound this year and, since I'm not "in the know" on a lot of phones out there maybe you can help me pick a good replacement. I'm on Verizon and plan to root the phone and install custom ROMs. I like the HTC One and HTC One Max (mostly for the removable SD). The Samsung Galaxy 4 looks alright, but I'd definitely have to wipe that thing...can't stand the Samsung interface and crapware.

Anyway, please tell me what phone(s) you would upgrade to from the Rezound and why. Thanks.

acejavelin
Old
Thanks Meter 418

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by fettfan View Post
I'll probably be replacing the Rezound this year and, since I'm not "in the know" on a lot of phones out there maybe you can help me pick a good replacement. I'm on Verizon and plan to root the phone and install custom ROMs. I like the HTC One and HTC One Max (mostly for the removable SD). The Samsung Galaxy 4 looks alright, but I'd definitely have to wipe that thing...can't stand the Samsung interface and crapware.

Anyway, please tell me what phone(s) you would upgrade to from the Rezound and why. Thanks.
Right now the only phone I would go with is the LG G2. Decent size, amazing battery life, minimal skin... It is my #1 choice right now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Cricket/Aio (Beanstalk 4.4.4 with hells-Core Kernel)
Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Official Beanstalk)
Current Tablet: iPad 4 and Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
Other phones "in the family": HTC DNA, HTC One (M7), Motorola Moto G GPE
Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria, HTC Incredible 2, HTC Rezound, Samsung Stratosphere, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P

fettfan
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
Right now the only phone I would go with is the LG G2. Decent size, amazing battery life, minimal skin... It is my #1 choice right now.

Hmmm...hadn't considered that one. Just compared it to HTC One and Galaxy S4 at VZW and I'd say I'll have to seriously consider the G2. Thanks! Any idea if there is a lot of ROM development for it? I'm on Tachyon on the Rezound and love it. Anything like that for the G2?

acejavelin
Old
Thanks Meter 418

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by fettfan View Post
Hmmm...hadn't considered that one. Just compared it to HTC One and Galaxy S4 at VZW and I'd say I'll have to seriously consider the G2. Thanks! Any idea if there is a lot of ROM development for it? I'm on Tachyon on the Rezound and love it. Anything like that for the G2?
Yeah, lots of ROMs, LOTS, and many devs have moved to it (I see @Snuzzo just mentioned he is getting the G2 very soon for one). I am up for new work phone Monday, pretty sure I'm getting the G2 next week as well.

Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Cricket/Aio (Beanstalk 4.4.4 with hells-Core Kernel)
Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Official Beanstalk)
Current Tablet: iPad 4 and Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
Other phones "in the family": HTC DNA, HTC One (M7), Motorola Moto G GPE
Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria, HTC Incredible 2, HTC Rezound, Samsung Stratosphere, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
The Following User Says Thank You to acejavelin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pball52998
Old
Thanks Meter 106
Just a question. With the lg g2. I've had my eye on it. I see with Verizon you get that crappy locked bootloader like every single other device on Verizon.... -,,,- but with that locked boot loader I've seen people say easy to unlock, not easy to unlock. Simple to add twrp. Pain in the butt to add it. I've read a lot on it. But cant seem to figure out :$ I see there's the Loki flash tool which is supposed to supposedly help "bypass" or help unlock the phones boot loader? Still very confused on that. As I said I've looked j to the g2 whenever I upgrade.... Although going to keep the Rezound and just flash stuff like crazy on it but with the rooting usually don't root my phones till latter (my means of root means going all the way with everything.....) I mean yeah just adding su is all fine and dandy. But I usually don't root and add twrp and a custom ROM till a year- year and a half or completely getting tired of it. Because after getting a phone because I have terrible luck with electronics sometimes..... I end up screwing up and having to get either a new one. Or get it fixed. Almost all the time. Soooo...... Any ideas on that? Sorry for the long drawn out question..... :$ and kinda being off topic :$

Sent from my Rezound using xda-developers app. CyanogenMod 11. S-off
Main Phone:
Verizon HTC One M8
Liquid Smooth 4.4.4 Nightlies, Insert Coin, and NuSenseSIX
Main Wifi Device:
HTC OG Droid Incredible S-OFF: Cyanogenmod 11
[I]Current Tablet[:/I]
Sadly A iPad First Gen. iOS 5.1.1 Jailbroken with GreenPois0n

Snuzzo
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5578

DONATE TO ME
Loki is a patch exploit to flash a custom kernel and recovery. The G2 can be downgraded firmware/rom-wise, so even if VZW patches it there will always be a way to root/flash.

What do you get when you cross a cow with a lion?
One really messed up situation!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snuzzo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pball52998
Old
Thanks Meter 106
Thanks for explaining that. I was a little confused. Makes sense of all of what I've read now. Thanks @Snuzzo

Sent from my Rezound using xda-developers app. CyanogenMod 11. S-off
Main Phone:
Verizon HTC One M8
Liquid Smooth 4.4.4 Nightlies, Insert Coin, and NuSenseSIX
Main Wifi Device:
HTC OG Droid Incredible S-OFF: Cyanogenmod 11
[I]Current Tablet[:/I]
Sadly A iPad First Gen. iOS 5.1.1 Jailbroken with GreenPois0n