Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,676 Members 51,753 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is there a jelly bean root for the Droid 4?

Tip us?

Michael_DW
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Is there a jelly bean root for the Droid 4?

hey guys, just wondering if there is a root method for the Motorola Droid 4 either OTA or other ways. sorry for noob question but ive tried to search for the answers else where.

joeynshelby
Old
Thanks Meter 1
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2207384
Check this out.

Sent from my DROID4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

berndblb
Old
Thanks Meter 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_DW View Post
hey guys, just wondering if there is a root method for the Motorola Droid 4 either OTA or other ways. sorry for noob question but ive tried to search for the answers else where.
Yep, the Droid Utility is a great tool for this phone.
If you're new to this, maybe a little explanation may be helpful..
the Droid Utility is a collection of scripts or tools you can run one after the other. For your purpose, rooting the Droid4, you only would use option 3 - and if you want to run a custom rom on this tool, also option 4. (Google "How to Safestrap" for more info on that)
1) and 2) are if you want to flash your phone back to stock.
So download the utility, extract it.
Make sure you have the drivers installed (if you can connect to your phone as a mass storage device you should be ok)
Click on the run.bat file, choose option 3 and follow the onscreen instructions.

squabeggz
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Can droid utility unroot / flash back to stock after the latest update?
System 98.72.189.xt894

berndblb
Old
Thanks Meter 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by squabeggz View Post
Can droid utility unroot / flash back to stock after the latest update?
System 98.72.189.xt894
??? What are you trying to get back to? droid utility can flash any firmware file you want - or use RSD lite to flash stock firmware..
But where are you and what are you trying to accomplish and why?

squabeggz
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob. I was rooted, took the latest OTA, restored root with voodoo. Now I just want to unroot and wipe it. Current
System 98.72.189.xt894 , Android 4.1.2, no custom Rom.

So I guess if I use option #1(I think) on droid utility, that should do what I need? Or is there something else I need to do as well since I took the recent ota?

berndblb
Old
Thanks Meter 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by squabeggz View Post
Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob. I was rooted, took the latest OTA, restored root with voodoo. Now I just want to unroot and wipe it. Current
System 98.72.189.xt894 , Android 4.1.2, no custom Rom.

So I guess if I use option #1(I think) on droid utility, that should do what I need? Or is there something else I need to do as well since I took the recent ota?
No- just choose option #1. The last OTA doesn't make a difference one way or the other...

Wannab007
Old
Thanks Meter 0
well, my problem is that the latest update (97.82.189) would fail, so i unrooted with supersu, flashed stock with droid4 utility then installed the update without fail, now i cannot re-root the phone, ive follow all instructions of clearing smartactions cache and data before attempting, phone is in debug and ive tried on both mtp and camera usb modes several times with no luck, script seems to run through as it should but root never takes, im thinking i should have never used supersu to unroot and should have just flashed stock and tried the update, would really suck if i cannot get root back