XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Virgin Prepaid Kyocera Event - WiFi phone

Tip us?

ixll
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] Virgin Prepaid Kyocera Event - WiFi phone

Radio Shack had this phone on sale for $14 cash this weekend, I picked up a couple of them to setup to use for WiFi text/music/YouTube phones for my kids.

I have rooted them and now just want to get rid of the Virgin Mobile automatic profile update that attempts to happen when I power on the phone. If possible, I would like to permanently disable the cellular data/voice modem as well leaving WiFi enabled.

Anyone know what app I should disable/remove through titanium backup to do this?

I have absolutely no intention of ever activating these phones for traditional cell service. They will strictly be used as WiFi android devices. Basically a cheapo alternative to an iPod.

I have set the phone for airplane mode and then enabled WiFi to prevent them from making calls, this is a reasonable solution but they could turn on the cell radio and start trying to activate, although they wouldn't get far as they don't have a way to provide payment anyway.

Problem is their mother isn't the brightest and when they are away at mom's, I would like to be able to text them and not be on the phone with her troubleshooting them constantly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

RoundSparrow
Old
Thanks Meter 11
> just want to get rid of the Virgin Mobile automatic profile update that attempts to happen when I power on the phone.

1) Turn on Airplane mode with power button. 2) wait 10 seconds, 3) turn on WiFi

Should stop this. You still get a message on bootup, but it will NOT cycle off/on WiFi like it doesn't if you don't turn on airplane mode.