OP nicksylph

14th February 2014, 06:39 PM   |  #31  
Thanks Meter: 2,982

1,074 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfan78

So what you're basically saying is that Samsung screwed the pooch?

Not at all. I'm saying that Samsung is playing fast and loose with the GPL. The MK3 kernel source contains any number of tricks to keep it from building correctly unless Samsung is building it themselves. Without patching it, exFAT support is (silently) skipped, the a2220 driver uses AT&T's firmware instead of Sprint's, and there's likely a few more bugs affecting the a2220 and video drivers (and possibly others as well).

EDIT: To clarify, some of the source code uses magic #define macros and directory layouts in order to change how it's built. Without being built by Samsung's build tree, that magic is missing and the resulting kernel isn't functionally equivalent to the kernel Samsung provided. GPLv2 doesn't explicitly forbid this, so they're technically compliant.
Last edited by decimalman; 14th February 2014 at 06:47 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to decimalman For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th February 2014, 08:06 PM   |  #32  
Flag Littleton, CO
Thanks Meter: 1,720

3,964 posts
More
Interesting
14th February 2014, 08:19 PM   |  #33  
Recognized Contributor
Flag /home/cnexus/android
Thanks Meter: 13,625

9,037 posts
Donate to Me
More
Yup, what he said could not be more spot on...

For example, take a look at my commit here: https://github.com/cnexus/kernel_tw_...77c0c68621a87a

That line that I removed was originally only pulling in exfat if some folder way up in Samsung build tree exists. And so, since we don't have the same build setup as Samsung, exfat gets skipped unless you remove that
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CNexus For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread