Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,619 Members 46,530 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Delay when answering/placing calls post 4.3

Tip us?

decimalman
Old
(Last edited by decimalman; 14th February 2014 at 06:47 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2748

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfan78 View Post
So what you're basically saying is that Samsung screwed the pooch?
Not at all. I'm saying that Samsung is playing fast and loose with the GPL. The MK3 kernel source contains any number of tricks to keep it from building correctly unless Samsung is building it themselves. Without patching it, exFAT support is (silently) skipped, the a2220 driver uses AT&T's firmware instead of Sprint's, and there's likely a few more bugs affecting the a2220 and video drivers (and possibly others as well).

EDIT: To clarify, some of the source code uses magic #define macros and directory layouts in order to change how it's built. Without being built by Samsung's build tree, that magic is missing and the resulting kernel isn't functionally equivalent to the kernel Samsung provided. GPLv2 doesn't explicitly forbid this, so they're technically compliant.
For your own safety, do not take the contents of the preceding post seriously.

dkp kernel: d2att d2spr d2tmo d2vzw/d2usc
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to decimalman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

metalfan78
Old
Thanks Meter 1461
Interesting

CNexus
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 13247

DONATE TO ME
Yup, what he said could not be more spot on...

For example, take a look at my commit here: https://github.com/cnexus/kernel_tw_...77c0c68621a87a

That line that I removed was originally only pulling in exfat if some folder way up in Samsung build tree exists. And so, since we don't have the same build setup as Samsung, exfat gets skipped unless you remove that
Sign up for the new Copy file storage service with this link and get both of us an extra 5 GB!
Or sign up for Dropbox with this link and we can both grab some extra storage!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CNexus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]