future of Micro-consoles?

Tip us?

gwaldo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default future of Micro-consoles?

Hi guys,

I just come across this blog post and felt the need to reply.
Rob Weber's 2014 Predictions for the Mobile Gaming Market

It quickly turned into my own blog post

Quote:
Overview:
The big 3 Console manufactures have stagnated
Mobile hardware and Google Android is advancing rapidly
Convergence of Mobile HW/SW into the desktop domain
Resurgence of the microcomputer (highend Android appliance)
Quote:
I used my laptop (rather then turning on the desktop) mainly for simple general things like emails, web browsing, chat and reading/writing documents etc.
After using the MOJO with a full USB keyboard and mouse on the coffee table for the past week my laptop has been made redundant.
As a desktop/laptop replacement, The MOJO has great performance with superb multi-tasking of applications.
My blog post is here:
http://xpcoin.com/2014/02/08/micro-c...microcomputers
Feedback welcome

mherma
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwaldo View Post
Hi guys,

I just come across this blog post and felt the need to reply.
Rob Weber's 2014 Predictions for the Mobile Gaming Market

It quickly turned into my own blog post

My blog post is here:
http://xpcoin.com/2014/02/08/micro-c...microcomputers
Feedback welcome
I agree with you gwald. I think android micro-consoles are just beginning. Since the idea of the Ouya came to light, I couldn't wait to get an android gaming console. Of course, Ouya wasn't exactly what I wanted. I think the perfect android console would use a stock google android experience, great hardware and access to any and every game out there in the android ecosystem. Enter: Madcatz MOJO, this does everything I could dream an android console could do - and more. I really think 6 months from now, or by the end of the year, the MOJO will have the updates it needs and more and more controller compatible games will be released - making the MOJO even better. If you were to put an Xbox One, PS4, and MOJO right in front of me I would still pick the MOJO. Android is the perfect OS for gaming console, and devs out there are truly making some really great games - and they are so cheap!

If any gaming systems are going to phase out sooner than later - I'm betting it's going to be the big three. With Android entering the living room space via micro console, hdmi sticks, set top boxes etc - consumers have many more options to choose from, and don't have to spend $400 or more on a console with games at $60 a pop. Just my thoughts!

buggin0915
Old
Thanks Meter 1
ya I agree I show my friends that have consoles and they are surprised on the graphics coming from a small box. and its coming along just hope the suppoert for this is long term

gwaldo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Hey thanks for the feed back guys
It's an interesting landscape for sure:

Microsoft considering allowing Android apps to run on both Windows and Windows Phone
Quote:
Sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans tell The Verge that the company is seriously considering allowing Android apps to run on both Windows and Windows Phone.

While planning is ongoing and it's still early, we’re told that some inside Microsoft favor the idea of simply enabling Android apps inside its Windows and Windows Phone Stores, while others believe it could lead to the death of the Windows platform altogether.

The mixed (and strong) feelings internally highlight that Microsoft will need to be careful with any radical move.
If MS does provide native support for android apps.. it will make their own native development tools less important.
Making Android demographic's more important then iOS.

jjprichards
Old
Thanks Meter 2
It can't be a stock google experience, not until google bakes in a 10' experience based launcher. Using a controller or air mouse to move a cursor on a screen is just terrible ux.

mherma
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjprichards View Post
It can't be a stock google experience, not until google bakes in a 10' experience based launcher. Using a controller or air mouse to move a cursor on a screen is just terrible ux.
Thats the reason I love it. Stock Google Android. I wouldn't want some launcher skinned over the top. I like the interface, plus I already know how to use it. After owning my MOJO for over a month, I know the CTRLR like the back of my hand. It's really easy to use. What's more, you can hook up any wired, wireless, or bluetooth device such as a mouse and keyboard to make it more PC like if you want to navigate that way.

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwaldo View Post
Hey thanks for the feed back guys
It's an interesting landscape for sure:

Microsoft considering allowing Android apps to run on both Windows and Windows Phone

If MS does provide native support for android apps.. it will make their own native development tools less important.
Making Android demographic's more important then iOS.
I think MS implementing android app compatibility is about as likely as Apple producing an android phone. I think MS's next big move is integrating their PC/Tablet/Phone OS's rolled into one. I've read a few articles over the last few months that points this. I think it'd be a cool idea and bring something a little fresher out there for windows users. I really don't see MS pulling out of the phone market anytime soon, but then again, I really don't see them on par with android or apple. I think we still have a few more years to go for MS to stop throwing money at the OS and saying the heck with it. I personally enjoy their mobile OS. Back when the ZuneHD came out, I loved it. Had always thought they were on to something with that user interface - then that turned in to Windows phone pretty much. I know their mobile products aren't the most popular, but it sure is a pretty OS and does the job quite well.