Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,151 Members 49,436 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Q: difficulties with finding T-Mobile p769 malware free unlocking & rooting method

Tip us?

directlyobservable
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation Q: difficulties with finding T-Mobile p769 malware free unlocking & rooting method

Hi,

I am a total newbie when it comes to rooting stuff (I did root my nexus 7 2012 without using a toolkit so I have some slight experience, but this phone seems to be much more difficult).

However, I have seriously spent many hours searching and reading many different unlocking bootloader & root guides for the 769, and I cannot seem to find a method that will work and is safe.

With the guide that I have read the most (i. e. [GUIDE] Root L9 ICS/Jelly Bean with New Lelus method and Offline Flash (1st and 2nd post) ), there is a serious malware problem.

I don't have a pop-up blocker enabled & I have never seen this type of malware threat message before where chrome will not allow me to download these files (message displayed is like " chrome is preventing you from downloading these malicious files) RootJB_and_Flash_Guide_byCMahendra_AngryWolf80(31-Mar).zip], so it freaks me out a bit.

Anyway I'm sorry if I missed something but I have never seen this type of message, so if anyone can help me on the best method for unlocking and rooting that would be awesome!

Thanks.

soundviper
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I can help but I need q favor

Sent from my LG-P769 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

absinthesummer
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by directlyobservable View Post
Hi,

I am a total newbie when it comes to rooting stuff (I did root my nexus 7 2012 without using a toolkit so I have some slight experience, but this phone seems to be much more difficult).

However, I have seriously spent many hours searching and reading many different unlocking bootloader & root guides for the 769, and I cannot seem to find a method that will work and is safe.

With the guide that I have read the most (i. e. [GUIDE] Root L9 ICS/Jelly Bean with New Lelus method and Offline Flash (1st and 2nd post) ), there is a serious malware problem.

I don't have a pop-up blocker enabled & I have never seen this type of malware threat message before where chrome will not allow me to download these files (message displayed is like " chrome is preventing you from downloading these malicious files) RootJB_and_Flash_Guide_byCMahendra_AngryWolf80(31-Mar).zip], so it freaks me out a bit.

Anyway I'm sorry if I missed something but I have never seen this type of message, so if anyone can help me on the best method for unlocking and rooting that would be awesome!

Thanks.
Hey so I just tested the download and you're right, Chrome does block it (although you can get around it)... But back when I had my L9, I downloaded it with firefox and checked it with malwarebytes and it was fine. It's not malicious, or wasn't when I used it. However, most apps that hack devices (rooting apps, modified dlls on computer applications, etc) show as malicious when they're not, it's just the nature by which it's designed. I would recommend allowing the download, to an external flash stick or sd card then scanning it with AV. If you're still uncomfortable with it, use a different method. But, I will say from my experience, it worked for me just fine when I still had my L9.

And yes, this phone is way more complicated to root, unlock, etc. I traded mine in plus some cash for an S3. Couldn't be happier, but when I had my L9, I went through everything on this forum. It was a PITA, but I will say I liked this community- they've worked together and worked hard on these processes to help each other out along with other owners of the L9. I feel they and the methods they put forth are genuine.
The Following User Says Thank You to absinthesummer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xdrc45
Old
Thanks Meter 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by directlyobservable View Post
Hi,

Thanks.
I had the same problem. I tried to download the lelus root method and chrome blocked it. I ended up downloading it on my tablet using opera classic browser, then transferred it to my pc and antivirus said that there was a trojan horse in one of the dll's. I'm sure this method is fine to root your device with, as absinthesummer said a lot of modified dll's and rooting apps will show as malicious software. I ended up not using this method though.
I downloaded vroot and then everyone was saying that it steals you personal information. So i didn't use this method either.
The only other one that I didn't hear anything bad about was cydia impactor. Downloaded it without any problems and rooted my ms769 in seconds without any hiccups.
If you found my post Helpful Please click the Thank You Button!

Google Nexus 5 - Custom Rom - *Dirty Unicorns 4.4.3* - FrancoR53 - TWRP v2.7
LG Optimus L9 MS769 - *Kumakan 4.1.2* - Rooted - CWM - Locked BL
LG Motion 4G MS770 - Custom Rom - *CM 10*
HTC HD7 - WP - OS 7.8 - Custom Rom - *Deepshining* v8.1 Fully Unlocked
Samsung Admire - Custom Rom - *Open Android* v2.3.6
Huawei Ascend - M860 -Custom Rom - *CM 7.2*
Lenovo IdeaTab - A2109 - Custom Rom - *Paranoid/CM 10 Combo*
The Following User Says Thank You to xdrc45 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

directlyobservable
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the replies absinthesummer & xdrc45. I'm glad it wasn't just me having the problem with the lelus root method, and while I agree with files and rooting apps being recognized as malware, this kind of weirded me out. Oh and @ xdrc45, thanks for the tip about using cydia impactor, I'm definitely going that route.