5,596,700 Members 46,086 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Broke my Tytn II mini-usb slot

Tip us?

DavidNL
Old
Thanks Meter 1
This is where I ordered one on EBAY a few weeks ago (I assume yours is same as mine for Tilt):
http://www.auctiva.com/stores/viewst...076&styleid=83
AT&T
Optimus G

windtrader
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I found the charger port on eBay from a US seller.

I took the phone apart to get a close look at the connector. Going to be a challenge for me as this is some fine soldering.

I have a 15 watt solderer. It has a fairly thin tip but seems big for the job. What size of tip is best?

himalayasplaya
Old
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Is there someone I could pay to fix it for me? like at a store or something?

Also I heard if u get that ugly jack the one that 3in one jack that has another mini-usb out and another headphone jack it will work again?? is this true??
Samsung Galaxy Nexus running Paranoid Android!

windtrader
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I did order one of the plugs and soldered it in and the phone charging does not work. It may have been a poor solder job or something else got shorted in one of the internal circuits. The phone works fine but the battery needs to be charged externally and switched every day or two.

You can get the plug replaced by a shop but one local phone store quoted me a hundred bucks, more than the phone is worth.

If the mini plug in the phone is what is broken then nothing else you plug into it will work. You certainly can try it it and wiggle it around a bit.

In hindsight, I believe I could have saved my plug from going bad. It did not happen overnight and it did not occur to me to check the inside of the plug and check for possible bending of the connectors inside and straighten them up a bit. I did mess with the cable ends a lot, compressing them and such to make a better connection which worked a little but I think it messed up the internal connectors more. Check those internal connectors to be straight and that might help.

himalayasplaya
Old
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
its not fully broken.

I can still active sync and charge my phone, and for that I am thankful

However, when I plug in my headset jack I cannot listen to music from it
Samsung Galaxy Nexus running Paranoid Android!

stylez
Old
Moderator Committee - Assistant Forum Admin
Thanks Meter 504

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by himalayasplaya View Post
its not fully broken.

I can still active sync and charge my phone, and for that I am thankful

However, when I plug in my headset jack I cannot listen to music from it
Get a BT headset solve all your problems if works for sync & charging, i picked up mine for 25 and there cans will also prove far more functional

MAKO / GROUPER / XOOM / G1

windtrader
Old
Thanks Meter 1
VERY good news it still charges and syncs. What has happened is some of the connectors inside the plug are going bad or the cable that plugs the headphone into the phone plug is bad. If it is a bad cable no big deal. If it is pins inside the plug, you should be worried.

You can get music from the device via BT as suggested. But you will still be making frequent connections for battery charge and maybe synch too.

The HTC plug is a special mini-usb configuration and if the plug is the source of the problem I would seriously consider getting rid of it asap while it still works except for sound.

The plug might not get worse but odds are it will and then you are screwed, speaking from experience.

Good luck.

nicke85
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default my experience

I haved that problem because reset hole is near usb slot and I puted in my stick in dark..but to resolve problem buyed whole second hand board for Kaiser and now have all parts for it for only 20 euro from local dealer..replacement is very cheap about 5 euro in mobile servis..

bliblablub
Old
Thanks Meter 8
What does the complete mainboard cost? Perhaps that's better than replacing the kaiser with another one or trying to fix that ^^
HTC One - stealth black (stock, unbranded)
Pebble Kickstarter Edition, Plantronics Discovery 645

T-Mobile MDA Vario III still in use as backup
Valentine 1.0.2

Samsung Galaxy Y S-5363 @ root, stock

History: Siemens SL 55 - HTC Wizard - HTC Kaiser - HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy Y - HTC One

You want to know the coverage of your preferred network operator in your region? Check CoverageMapper

wpbear
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicke85 View Post
I haved that problem because reset hole is near usb slot and I puted in my stick in dark..but to resolve problem buyed whole second hand board for Kaiser and now have all parts for it for only 20 euro from local dealer..replacement is very cheap about 5 euro in mobile servis..
I did the same thing. Lucky for me I was able to bend the pins back with a knife. I felt horrible after that but I got lucky.
Current Devices:

LG G Pad 8.3 Black - CM11
Samsung Galaxy S3 16GB Blue and Brown (Both CleanROM 7)
Rooted Droid Bionic - CM10.1
Droid INC 4G LTE - CM11
Galaxy Nexus Verizon 4G - Shiny Rom

Retired: Original DInc CM9, Nook Color: KANG CM7 flashed to EMMC, Rooted Droid Razr Purple 16GB
Sold: Transformer Infinity w/dock - CleanROMiX

Invite for Online Storage & File Sync With DROPBOX