Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,490 Members 42,131 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

brick to brick to brick to oblivion?

Tip us?

dreamwave
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Unhappy brick to brick to brick to oblivion?

The reason I'm putting this here is because there is no subforum for the sgs3 us cellular version

my phone's model is SCH-R530 and I think I've dug myself into some pretty deep ****
I came from the original touchwiz rom with andrid version ~4.3, I believe, then I used the cm installer to get to cm10, after that I flashed cm11 using the cmupdater. I ran that and nothing else other than a brief try of omnirom, but didn't like that so I went back, I used cm11 for another few weeks and then flashed miui, but it was for the i9300 or whatever, so that's where the problems started. I had hard bricked my phone, but after looking around a bit, I finally found an unbrick file, I put that on a 32gb sdcard and that got my phone working, but if I removed the sd card, the phone would work until I rebooted, than I'd get nothing, no haptic, no lights, but it resolved after I put the sdcard back in, I used that for a week, but then I wanted my sd back as actual storage instead of just a boot helper, so I found this link: http://teamuscellular.com/Forum/file...9-stock-files/ and tried to run the exe, so while that did get all of the way through, it failed when trying to flash the phone, giving me the error in the first screenshot and making my phone say "sw rev check fail : fused 1 > binary 0" in dmode. I tried using odin and just using the file in the zip, but it gave me the error in the second screenshot, and now my phone cant get past a screen that says something about a kies upgrade failed, I can't get into recovery or anything other than the error, which basically gives dmode with an error, or the regular dmode. I don't know how much trouble I'm in here and if someone could give me an idea of what my next action should be then that would be great, also noting that I have a budget for fixing this thing of about $20, so no jtag unless I absolutely have to.screenshots.zip
Probably sent from my Galaxy Nexus running CM11, or maybe from my Galaxy S3 running Slimkat...either way it was sent from something with OLED and a custom ROM...even my computer with custom compiled Kubuntu...

If I helped you in any way, just remember that the thanks button won't bite the tail off of your cursor if you click on it

CNexus
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 13256

DONATE TO ME
You need to flash the 4.3 tar for your phone with the sdcard in.

The reason it does not boot without the sdcard is because the device emmc has a corrupt bootloader, so it needs a good bootloader which the sdcard has. But when you remove the sdcard, it's left with only a corrupt bootloader and can't boot.

In short, you need to find the 4.3 tar for USC and flash that with Odin. Any tar below 4.3 will fail since you're on the Knox bootloader.
Sign up for the new Copy file storage service with this link and get both of us an extra 5 GB!
Or sign up for Dropbox with this link and we can both grab some extra storage!

The Following User Says Thank You to CNexus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dreamwave
Old
(Last edited by dreamwave; 14th February 2014 at 08:22 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
any idea of where I could find a bootloader update, CNexus ?
Probably sent from my Galaxy Nexus running CM11, or maybe from my Galaxy S3 running Slimkat...either way it was sent from something with OLED and a custom ROM...even my computer with custom compiled Kubuntu...

If I helped you in any way, just remember that the thanks button won't bite the tail off of your cursor if you click on it

dreamwave
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNexus View Post

The reason it does not boot without the sdcard is because the device emmc has a corrupt bootloader, so it needs a good bootloader which the sdcard has. But when you remove the sdcard, it's left with only a corrupt bootloader and can't boot.

In short, you need to find the 4.3 tar for USC and flash that with Odin. Any tar below 4.3 will fail since you're on the Knox bootloader.
What is the Knox bootloader?

dreamwave
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNexus View Post

no idea how it worked, but I used this: http://www.theandroidsoul.com/latest...-4-compatible/

and it actually got my phone to reboot, was it because it successfully completed an operation and removed the upgrade failed flag?
And now, how do I get it to work without the sdcard?

joeyhdownsouth
Old
Thanks Meter 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwave View Post
What is the Knox bootloader?
CNexus's thread HERE
G2(Sprint)-stock
G3(Sprint)-stock
Galaxy S3(Sprint)-ROM:C-rom/KERNEL:dkp-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Galaxy S5(Boost)-ROM/KERNEL:M.O.A.R.-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Moto G(unlocked to CellularOne)-ROM/KERNEL:LiquidSmooth-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Note 10.1-ROM/KERNEL:Hyperdrive-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
The Following User Says Thank You to joeyhdownsouth For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dreamwave
Old
(Last edited by dreamwave; 15th February 2014 at 02:28 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
are there any files that just contain the bootloader, CNexus ? It looks like there isn't anything wrong with it other than that, and I'd like to be spared from the whole internal sdcard getting formatted