Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Hands On – XDA TV

Perhaps one of the more peculiar announcements this year was the curved edge-screened … more

Nova Launcher Update Brings Lollipop Functionality and Feel

One of the most popular third party launcher on Android, Nova Launcher, has just … more

Check Your I/O Usage with Iotop for Android

Ever needed to check the I/O usage of apps? If so, you probably tried searching for an iotop … more

T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more
Post Reply

[Q] Is there a master link to stop Verizon's forced install. of 4.3?

OP wherewasNORAD?

12th February 2014, 05:48 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
I bought a Samsung Galaxy Note II and enjoyed it for 20 days before I saw it auto-updating and I stopped it mid-stream. Then I let it (where it still remains) in Airplane mode.

I learned since that if the update from auto-update is done, 4.3's bootloader is no longer available and it can no longer be restored to 4.1.2.

I am learning terms and procedures to the best of my novice abilities, but I am still confused on how and IF I can keep my 'download-in-progess' GNII that is still 4.1.2 at 4.1.2.
Verizon and Samsung say absolutely not as you probably know and that it would be a forced installation and factory reset now or afterwards = 4.3.

SO , my question is:
is there a master link for this procedure (and a best ROM?!)
&
Also do all procedures to accomplish my goal of not updating to 4.3 involve rooting that would void the warranty as FAQ#19 states (? Or is there a non-rooting method?

[OK moderator, be kind as this is my 1st post!]
12th February 2014, 11:26 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 32
 
149 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
To stop the update you need to freeze an app called SDM 1.0. You will need to be rooted to do that. I guess you need to decide what direction you want to go in. If you want to unlock and flash roms then you need to do that now, before it updates. If you don't want to do that you can update and stay stock. Just be aware that if you update to 4.3 there is no going back. You can root 4.3 but you cannot unlock the bootloader.
The Following User Says Thank You to TonikJDK For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th February 2014, 01:22 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Thank you. I see that xda's FAQ #19 says:
"Q19: Can Verizon scan my phone to see if it is rooted?
There are security features on the VZW servers that can block rooted phones from access. Know that when calling Customer Service, they can actively search your phone and see what version of Android Software you are running."

SO: Question>>> Does it not make sense to root since Verizon might actively search phone and shut me out since I did not do their forced installation?
Perhaps the answer is at best "maybe" since there are members here for sure that have rooted this and not been cut off by Big Red Verizon?

Thank you for the reply. I will look up the info. on that 1.0 program. I will prefer being rooted when I find the proper process (here is superior than youtube vids)
but the possibility of Verizon blocking phone if they can legally makes it illogical to purse rooting, unless I am missing something.
Last edited by wherewasNORAD?; 13th February 2014 at 03:15 AM. Reason: emphasis on Why Root if Verizon can block me?
13th February 2014, 05:59 AM   |  #4  
BoostedB18C's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag San Jose
Thanks Meter: 808
 
1,309 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wherewasNORAD?

"Q19: Can Verizon scan my phone to see if it is rooted?
There are security features on the VZW servers that can block rooted phones from access. Know that when calling Customer Service, they can actively search your phone and see what version of Android Software you are running."

SO: Question>>> Does it not make sense to root since Verizon might actively search phone and shut me out since I did not do their forced installation?
Perhaps the answer is at best "maybe" since there are members here for sure that have rooted this and not been cut off by Big Red Verizon?

Thank you for the reply. I will look up the info. on that 1.0 program. I will prefer being rooted when I find the proper process (here is superior than youtube vids)
but the possibility of Verizon blocking phone if they can legally makes it illogical to purse rooting, unless I am missing something.

That is false. Verizon customer service cannot scan your phone. They do not know if you are rooted. Even if they did, they are not going to cancel your service. They want your monthly payment. If all of us on here have rooted several phones and still have service, don't you think that info you found is false? And if you do believe it to be true, why worry about taking the 4.3 OTA?

Sent From My Sticky Note, Too?
15th February 2014, 01:49 PM   |  #5  
mad96's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 34
 
242 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by wherewasNORAD?

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Note II and enjoyed it for 20 days before I saw it auto-updating and I stopped it mid-stream. Then I let it (where it still remains) in Airplane mode.

I learned since that if the update from auto-update is done, 4.3's bootloader is no longer available and it can no longer be restored to 4.1.2.

I am learning terms and procedures to the best of my novice abilities, but I am still confused on how and IF I can keep my 'download-in-progess' GNII that is still 4.1.2 at 4.1.2.
Verizon and Samsung say absolutely not as you probably know and that it would be a forced installation and factory reset now or afterwards = 4.3.

SO , my question is:
is there a master link for this procedure (and a best ROM?!)
&
Also do all procedures to accomplish my goal of not updating to 4.3 involve rooting that would void the warranty as FAQ#19 states (? Or is there a non-rooting method?

[OK moderator, be kind as this is my 1st post!]

If you really think that you will want to root your device eventually then now is the time to do it so you can update when you would like to. Adam Outlet has a step by step method that sounds scaryer than it is, just read throughly and you'll be fine. Good luck in which ever way you decide. :thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
15th February 2014, 05:00 PM   |  #6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonikJDK

To stop the update you need to freeze an app called SDM 1.0. You will need to be rooted to do that. I guess you need to decide what direction you want to go in. If you want to unlock and flash roms then you need to do that now, before it updates. If you don't want to do that you can update and stay stock. Just be aware that if you update to 4.3 there is no going back. You can root 4.3 but you cannot unlock the bootloader.

This was what I was looking for for a while now. Thanks for answering my question.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes