5,600,429 Members 32,833 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

chromecast is awesome

Tip us?
 
jblaze10
Old
#181  
jblaze10's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 76
Posts: 185
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Gold Canyon,Az
Default showbox??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark manning View Post
Let's go through this point by point for you...


1. Showbox does not pay for the licensing that comes with the movie's and show's on the app.



2. I know this because their servers were recently taken down. Secondly, no one has licenses for movies that are still in theaters or for Shows that either just aired or already have exclusive licensing deals with other web sites.

3. No I do not know where their servers are located or if they are bound by copyright laws. However, I do know where XDA's servers are located and the content on our site is bound by US law. Not to mention stealing is well... stealing.

4. Yes, you are correct. You can google anything your heart desires. Although, Google is a tool that has millions of different applications to what the information it provides can be used for. Showbox only has 1. With that being said, if someone posted a google link that linked to showbox I would have removed that as well.

Cheers Mate
I understand your point. with respect to you as a mod. im confused why in just about every sprint forum(don't know about other carriers but im gonna assume in most of those also) can a person learn how(which I did) dl and troubleshoot hotspot hacking when clearly that is "illegal" as well? is showbox just the flavor of the month?
 
drivenby
Old
#182  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 314
Posts: 1,059
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblaze10 View Post
I understand your point. with respect to you as a mod. im confused why in just about every sprint forum(don't know about other carriers but im gonna assume in most of those also) can a person learn how(which I did) dl and troubleshoot hotspot hacking when clearly that is "illegal" as well? is showbox just the flavor of the month?
Well first question would be , is that against the law?????


What law is it breaking??

Also the entities in charge of music , movies and television copyright are much more aggressive than any other similar organizations.

Which is dangerous for XDA, more so than random sprint 'hacking' , which I'm not even sure it's illegal.



Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to drivenby For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
jblaze10
Old
#183  
jblaze10's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 76
Posts: 185
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Gold Canyon,Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivenby View Post
Well first question would be , is that against the law?????


What law is it breaking??

Also the entities in charge of music , movies and television copyright are much more aggressive than any other similar organizations.

Which is dangerous for XDA, more so than random sprint 'hacking' , which I'm not even sure it's illegal.



Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

unless im crazy using a service that sprint requires you to pay for, without paying for it is stealing? im preeety sure that is illegal? honestly I could care less about the showbox debate. I was just irritated that the thread in sprint forum was suddenly shut down (when it has been up for a few months now) by a mod that rarely is around. if it is against the rules so be it! I certainly understand the copyright issues. with being said, minus the legalities, showbox is definitely within the spirit of xda imo.
 
mark manning
Old
#184  
mark manning's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 3018
Posts: 4,859
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblaze10 View Post
unless im crazy using a service that sprint requires you to pay for, without paying for it is stealing? im preeety sure that is illegal? honestly I could care less about the showbox debate. I was just irritated that the thread in sprint forum was suddenly shut down (when it has been up for a few months now) by a mod that rarely is around. if it is against the rules so be it! I certainly understand the copyright issues. with being said, minus the legalities, showbox is definitely within the spirit of xda imo.
You are right about the hot spots although it isn't technically illegal. The service providers can end your contract for tethering but since you already paid for the data they have no standing in the eyes of the law. The issue of hotspots has been hotly debated numerous times by the moderation team. The reason the the showbox thread in the sprint forums wasn't closed sooner was because a moderator hadn't seen it. Once the thread was brought to our attention, it was closed with all of the others that have popped up before it. I will say this though, minus the legalities (which we don't always agree with the DMCA either but are forced to follow), I do think it is an app that embodies the spirit of xda. However, letting it stay isn't worth the cease and desist letter that would eventually come.
5 Million + Members Heads Are Better Than One
The Following User Says Thank You to mark manning For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Asphyx
Old
#185  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 210
Posts: 1,423
Join Date: Dec 2007
I would bet that 99.9% of posters here really have no problem with the App in question to the point they may even have it installed.
But there are probably another 100000 Sites where it could be discussed that aren't the #1 BEST source of Mobile device help and Software in the world and would put that #1 Best resource at risk of being taken down!

Use your heads here folks...If you really like this app the last thing you should do is promote it!
If you knew where there were Gold Bars in a Hole would you tell the entire Neighborhood or just keep it to yourself?

The more people who know about it the more resources they will throw at it to stop it and take it down.
And then you will lose it altogether!

Is promoting Warez really worth losing the #1 resource for Custom Roms, Rooting Methods, Free Apps, News and all the expertise that posts here to help you when you have issues?

No of Course not!

And now back to our regularly schedule broadcast....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Asphyx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
jblaze10
Old
#186  
jblaze10's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 76
Posts: 185
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Gold Canyon,Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark manning View Post
You are right about the hot spots although it isn't technically illegal. The service providers can end your contract for tethering but since you already paid for the data they have no standing in the eyes of the law. The issue of hotspots has been hotly debated numerous times by the moderation team. The reason the the showbox thread in the sprint forums wasn't closed sooner was because a moderator hadn't seen it. Once the thread was brought to our attention, it was closed with all of the others that have popped up before it. I will say this though, minus the legalities (which we don't always agree with the DMCA either but are forced to follow), I do think it is an app that embodies the spirit of xda. However, letting it stay isn't worth the cease and desist letter that would eventually come.


thanks! Now that I can totally get behind!! thanks for clarifications. Im with you, not worth the trouble and or soiled reputation of this site.(which im sure gets tested from time to time.) keep up the good work!!

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx View Post
I would bet that 99.9% of posters here really have no problem with the App in question to the point they may even have it installed.
But there are probably another 100000 Sites where it could be discussed that aren't the #1 BEST source of Mobile device help and Software in the world and would put that #1 Best resource at risk of being taken down!

Use your heads here folks...If you really like this app the last thing you should do is promote it!
If you knew where there were Gold Bars in a Hole would you tell the entire Neighborhood or just keep it to yourself?

The more people who know about it the more resources they will throw at it to stop it and take it down.
And then you will lose it altogether!

Is promoting Warez really worth losing the #1 resource for Custom Roms, Rooting Methods, Free Apps, News and all the expertise that posts here to help you when you have issues?

No of Course not!

And now back to our regularly schedule broadcast....
good point! I couldn't imagine losing this site! Hats off to the mods as always for their diligence,no more OT from me!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes