ztotherad
Old
Thanks Meter 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp_211 View Post
by flashing this:

3.0-kernel-Devil_TWRP_4.4.2_12-29-2013-fassy.zip
http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23269279319202534
the only problem with that kernel is getting twrp also. i think it'd be better to be able to flash the recovery/kernel separately, but like UDev said, the kernel/recovery/ramdisk makes it difficult because we don't have a separate recovery partition. unless we do more partitioning of the system/data/cache/datadata and create a separate recovery, but i don't think we can without some major work.. which sucks. we pretty much need to copy from another phone, if it's been done anyway. i know the Nexus s can flash recoveries separately, but i don't know how their partitions are laid out exactly.
they see me trollin', they waiting...

Unjustified Dev
Old
(Last edited by Unjustified Dev; 14th January 2014 at 06:44 AM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4469
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8no View Post
Its so complicated. Thanks so much for taking the time to explain. So how do we get Devil kernel into 1/9 cm ROM with all that confusion? I like twrp but I want Devil so I can get some extra settings.
It's only compatible for so long I mentioned why. These boot.img aren't really the the best solution due to changes that make it not compatible please guys go read on what a ramdisk is and what all this stuff is like init and stuff so you can understand why
Part of ramdisk is in system/core/rootdir in source code other parts come from your device tree . It's not like this code stays the same not even in the device tree it needs to be changed to fix things or give permission to new things or initialize things like sensors snd it runs more like wifi , bluetooth , etc. This boot.img was only made to allow you to get on 4.4 since recovery is in boot.img you had no choice due to recovery being incapable of installing new 4.4 since set permission is gone it's set metadata now . Compatibility with this boot.img is broken now and I wouldn't install it.
Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztotherad View Post
the only problem with that kernel is getting twrp also. i think it'd be better to be able to flash the recovery/kernel separately, but like UDev said, the kernel/recovery/ramdisk makes it difficult because we don't have a separate recovery partition. unless we do more partitioning of the system/data/cache/datadata and create a separate recovery, but i don't think we can without some major work.. which sucks. we pretty much need to copy from another phone, if it's been done anyway. i know the Nexus s can flash recoveries separately, but i don't know how their partitions are laid out exactly.
Actually we have one it's just not used due to how the device is made. I think it's a bootloader limitation based on how it was set up. I always imagined it was possible to load recovery there but I don't think the block is active or something to be used it just exists

ztotherad
Old
Thanks Meter 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unjustified Dev View Post
It's only compatible for so long I mentioned why. These boot.img aren't really the the best solution due to changes that make it not compatible please guys go read on what a ramdisk is and what all this stuff is like init and stuff so you can understand why
Part of ramdisk is in system/core/rootdir in source code other parts come from your device tree . It's not like this code stays the same not even in the device tree it needs to be changed to fix things or give permission to new things or initialize things like sensors snd it runs more like wifi , bluetooth , etc. This boot.img was only made to allow you to get on 4.4 since recovery is in boot.img you had no choice due to recovery being incapable of installing new 4.4 since set permission is gone it's set metadata now . Compatibility with this boot.img is broken now and I wouldn't install it.

---------- Post added at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

Actually we have one it's just not used due to how the device is made. I think it's a bootloader limitation based on how it was set up. I always imagined it was possible to load recovery there but I don't think the block is active or something to be used it just exists

I wish there was a way to check to see if it's active without the possibility of bricking the phone. there's gotta be a workaround, but I don't know if that's even possible.

Unjustified Dev
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4469
Quote:
I wish there was a way to check to see if it's active without the possibility of bricking the phone. there's gotta be a workaround, but I don't know if that's even possible.
it's not made to be active this phone has a mtd partition I have no idea how it's set up but recovery is dead. Just kernel , cache , system , and datadata partitions are active.

ztotherad
Old
Thanks Meter 483
Quote:
it's not made to be active this phone has a mtd partition I have no idea how it's set up but recovery is dead. Just kernel , cache , system , and datadata partitions are active.
so really that recovery is only activated within the boot.img

Unjustified Dev
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4469
Quote:
so really that recovery is only activated within the boot.img
Yep that's how it's read. Stock recover is different we had revovery .bin this was made to allow custom ones to work its how it loads it is different from stock. I think that was developed by kush. Brick your phone hard enough you will see cwm4 you installed on stock

ztotherad
Old
Thanks Meter 483
Quote:
Yep that's how it's read. Stock recover is different we had revovery .bin this was made to allow custom ones to work its how it loads it is different from stock. I think that was developed by kush. Brick your phone hard enough you will see cwm4 you installed on stock

damn. that just goes with what Adam Outler created "the unbrickable mod" for the fassy. I'd love to do that with my phone and then try and flash a nexus s bootloader/kernel/etc and see if something loads. Hell, I'd even like to try it on my other fassy that is bricked/whatever to see if it fixes it. lol. I just don't know how to use a welder at all.

hhp_211
Old
(Last edited by hhp_211; 15th February 2014 at 02:51 PM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticmisfit View Post
helly is still an amazing 4.2 rom. hell I'm running aokp ms6 (ics) right now and it seems to be the only thing that's fully satisfied me as of late.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Hey skepticmisfit and others too ,
I've seen you and a couple others prefer the aokp ics ms6 over other newer roms.
What do you feel it's doing that's hands down better?
Also...
What are its quirks?
What do you use your fassy for the most [surfing, gaming, music, mixture, other. ]

Can you list out what bugs you in newer Roms the most

I ask because I've been working hard on some tweaked settings in DU 4.4 that have reality improved the speed and stability for me and they should work for all the 4.4 Roms,,,

And I want to get some initial response to make sure I'm heading on the right path

Hopefully I'll have these tweaks in the next few days.
Whoever is ready or able to test let me know.

————— ————— —————

For me 4.4 has been good overall,,,
The hanging black screen on receiving a phone call has to be issue numero uno! drove me nuts!!!
and very slow at switching tasks ,
and slow looking up anything in the interweb,
Not to mention,, generally within a few hours from a fresh boot will cause a hang/reboot
[ or any semi heavy multi tasking it will happen faster]

So I've put a lot of hours into researching and finding out what certain settings effect and I've compared and made a spreadsheet if settings from ROM's that were popular or considered fast,,, and the results have been extremely positive

Fascinate SCH-i500 -- Currently Running :: Something with some kind of Kernel

Samsung Fascinate SCH-i500 -- [Kernels] Flashable Jellybean 4.2.x || 4.3 || & tweaks
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=38014509

skepticmisfit
Old
Thanks Meter 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp_211 View Post
Hey skepticmisfit and others too ,
I've seen you and a couple others prefer the aokp ics ms6 over other newer roms.
What do you feel it's doing that's hands down better?
Also...
What are its quirks?
What do you use your fassy for the most [surfing, gaming, music, mixture, other. ]

Can you list out what bugs you in newer Roms the most

I ask because I've been working hard on some tweaked settings in DU 4.4 that have reality improved the speed and stability for me and they should work for all the 4.4 Roms,,,

And I want to get some initial response to make sure I'm heading on the right path

Hopefully I'll have these tweaks in the next few days.
Whoever is ready or able to test let me know.

For me 4.4 has been good overall,,,
The hanging black screen on receiving a phone call has to be issue numero uno! drove me nuts!!!
and very slow at switching tasks ,
and slow looking up anything in the interweb,
Not to mention,, generally within a few hours from a fresh boot will cause a hang/reboot
[ or any semi heavy multi tasking it will happen faster]

So I've put a lot of hours into researching and finding out what certain settings effect and I've compared and made a spreadsheet if settings from ROM's that were popular or considered fast,,, and the results have been extremely positive

oh man.. well... specifically with AOKP, it's really stable and really fast a lot of the time. scrolling and opening apps is way faster than in JB and KK roms. gaming is also a bit better too. benchmarks, though they don't usually matter on phones, actually do better with an ICS rom than in JB.

some quirks with AOKP are that built in Wi-Fi tethering doesn't work and that only like two flashlight apps work (I use tiny flashlight). stock torch is broken.

Sent from my SCH-I500
The Following User Says Thank You to skepticmisfit For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

skepticmisfit
Old
Thanks Meter 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticmisfit View Post
oh man.. well... specifically with AOKP, it's really stable and really fast a lot of the time. scrolling and opening apps is way faster than in JB and KK roms. gaming is also a bit better too. benchmarks, though they don't usually matter on phones, actually do better with an ICS rom than in JB.

some quirks with AOKP are that built in Wi-Fi tethering doesn't work and that only like two flashlight apps work (I use tiny flashlight). stock torch is broken.

Sent from my SCH-I500
you can fix the wifi tethering issue by using Skunk works Glitch (0518 seems to be the only build still on the internet. if anyone has something newer PLEASE SHARE IT!) AOKP comes with IcyGlitch

Sent from my SCH-I500