[Q] Factory Settings - pre operating-system

Tip us?

Dan in SA
Old
(Last edited by Dan in SA; 14th February 2014 at 05:02 PM.) Reason: more info
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default [Q] Factory Settings - pre operating-system

Back story: OTA update to 4.3 killed USB on this phone, so there is no USB access to it - at all. I don't have a Windows computer, so I never downloaded ODIN to root the phone. It is completely stock, other than the unlock code obtained from T-Mobile.

I just switched from T-Mobile to AT&T, and for some reason had no data connection on the phone, even with the correct APN settings. I decided to try a factory reset. I went through the system settings menu and found the "Reset to factory settings" menu item, selected it, acknowledged the warning, input my PIN and let it go to work.

A few minutes later, it had rebooted into recovery. Sicne it was there, I took the opportunity to use the boot-loader's reset function and wiped the cache while I was at it. That was a mistake.

Now, the phone won't boot past the pulsing Samsung logo. I can get back to the recovery, and it pops up these errors - first, the droid on his back with the red triangle over him flashes "No command", and then it dumps me to the recovery menu with this scrolled at the bottom of the screen:
Code:
 # MANUAL MODE #
-- Appling Multi-CSC...
Applied the CSC-code : TMB
Successfully applied multi-CSC
E:failed to mount /data (Invalid argument)
can't mount '/data' (Invalid argument)
E:failed to mount /data (Invalid argument)
E:Can't mount /data/log/recovery_log.txt
It's obviously soft bricked. I can't use ODIN to flash anything. But, since I'm at the recovery screen, it is giving me the option of loading an update from external storage - what should I put on the SD card to load in order to fix it? Can I fix it without ODIN?

edit to add:
I've already tried the stock UVUEMJC firmware from DocHoliday77's thread, but it threw a bunch of errors across the screen that I didn't catch in time and rebooted to the same point.

Samsung Galaxy SIII
HTC Wildfire S (Marvel) with Marvellous CM10 (retired, now a dedicated Bluetooth OBDII scanner in the truck)
Fuhu nabi2, rooted

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2325

DONATE TO ME
Try @saranhai's StockMod Rom. Put it on the External SD and flash it. If that fails, please post the error log.

On another note. can you try in Recovery and manually mount /Data Partition ?

Dan in SA
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseus71 View Post
Try @saranhai's StockMod Rom. Put it on the External SD and flash it. If that fails, please post the error log.

On another note. can you try in Recovery and manually mount /Data Partition ?
Stuck @ work today, and I didn't bring it with me. I'll give that a shot when I get home tonight. I don't recall seeing a "mount" option in recovery - it's the stock Samsung recovery, I'm not sure I made that clear in the OP.

My Nexus 5 arrived last night, so this is becoming a project for me. I just want to know if I can make it work, but without USB access to it, that is probably a non-starter.

Samsung Galaxy SIII
HTC Wildfire S (Marvel) with Marvellous CM10 (retired, now a dedicated Bluetooth OBDII scanner in the truck)
Fuhu nabi2, rooted

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2325

DONATE TO ME
If you have Stock Rom, there isn't anything you could flash that way. At the most you could flash a Stock firmware via KIES.