Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,791 Members 49,377 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Just a thought about switching Phone Os to Tab Os and vv, possible or not?

Tip us?

Amadeus01
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Default Just a thought about switching Phone Os to Tab Os and vv, possible or not?

I am thinking outloud here but...........
WP8 Gdr3 and Wp8.1 are designed to work on bigger screens ( 6" ), but W8 and W8.1 are designed to work on smaller screens
and they work or going to work on the same kernel.
So, is it possible to change from Phone OS to Tablet OS and the otherway around?
If so, it would be an interesting experiment.

Any thoughts here?
Currently used devises

Nokia L1320 / L520
And
Samsung Gt-P5100

mcosmin222
Old
Thanks Meter 207
yes, it is possible, assuming you fix the hw drivers and secure boot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcosmin222 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,695
Yeah... it's "possible" in the sense that it's been "possible" to run RT (tablet OS) on phones since its release (and indeed, some people did manage to boot it on the ludicrously versatile HTC HD2), but in reality, it's completely impractical right now. You'd need to replace pretty much the entire OS; not even all parts of the kernel are the same (the version of win32k.sys on WP8 is much smaller than the one on WRT, for example). You *might* be able to make a dual-boot device once we manage to unlock the bootloader, but probably not before... and probably not for some time after, either.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

-W_O_L_F-
Old
Thanks Meter 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie View Post
Yeah... it's "possible" in the sense that it's been "possible" to run RT (tablet OS) on phones since its release (and indeed, some people did manage to boot it on the ludicrously versatile HTC HD2), but in reality, it's completely impractical right now. You'd need to replace pretty much the entire OS; not even all parts of the kernel are the same (the version of win32k.sys on WP8 is much smaller than the one on WRT, for example). You *might* be able to make a dual-boot device once we manage to unlock the bootloader, but probably not before... and probably not for some time after, either.
WinRT requires 768p. Only Nokia phones have big enough resolution.

Amadeus01
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by -W_O_L_F- View Post
WinRT requires 768p. Only Nokia phones have big enough resolution.
That's no problem.
Nokia is also the only one who builds the 6 inchers.
Currently used devises

Nokia L1320 / L520
And
Samsung Gt-P5100