Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,143 Members 52,166 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[NOTICE][APK]Download and install Google Search 3.2 with Google Launcher Now

Tip us?

zener773
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcorey View Post
I got 3.2.17 update in the play store. It didn't include GEL. I had removed the launcher so I added it back. It's now GNL.

"OK Google" works when you have Google now open if you have stock launcher but that is it. You have to have Google now open. For it to work on any home screen, you need to install Google now launcher.

Edit: hot word detection is cool but at the expense of battery. Wow! Idle all night (over 9 hours) and 11% battery gone. Before enabling and adding GNL, is lose about 3% overnight (with everything syncing and location services on).

Edit 2: I disabled hot word detection and battery life is a lot better. The active listening needs to be optimized. It certainly doesn't work as efficiently as it would on the moto x.

I don't see much advantage of GNL over the stock launcher so far.

Sent from my Moto G
You should try the Nova Beta Launcher is really fast, faster than stock or GEL especially when you disable all animations.

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

mrcorey
Old
Thanks Meter 227
I like nova (and apex, too). Currently still on GNL by I'll probably either go back to stock or maybe nova. But, when warranty either runs out or I get closer to that, I'll root this phone and rom it to death like I have with my last few phones.

I can't believe that I've had this phone for a whole month and haven't rooted it yet. But, I don't feel the need yet. I'm eager to see what happens with this launcher, though. Not so sure about the hit words, though. After all, it's just swipe, tap, to do the same thing.

Sent from my Moto G

SubZeroPT
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default Black Status Screen Bars on S3

Hi guys.

I've tried this on both my Nexus 7 2013 (Kit Kat 4.4.2) and Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300 with Jelly Bean 4.3).

On the Nexus everything works fine. On the S3, however, I now have a black status bar, instead of a transparent one.

On the sotck launcher (you know, Touchwiz) I already had transparent status bars and I thought the Google Now Laucher had those too, no matter what device you installed it in.

Has this happened to anyone else?